View Single Post
Old 11 May 2021, 03:12 AM   #333
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Hello everyone..

Im listening to my Black Sabbath record (Mob Rules)

Current song: Mob Rules
As a metal fan, I am curious: would you say that Black Sabbath with other singers than Ozzy is better (some people rate the Ronnie James Dio era very highly, and it is indeed hard to argue that Dio is a better singer than Ozzy), or do you think Sabbath just needs to have Ozzy in it in order for it to be Black Sabbath?

I have met Black Sabbath fans from both sides, some prefering the 80s output of the band, and some saying only the original Sabbath (with Ozzy) can be considered true Black Sabbath.

Personally, I must admit I have put more energy and time in discovering the discography with Ozzy than in discovering the other records. I got to discover Black Sabbath with Ozzy, and for me it is hard to imagine a band replacing singers (only a few bands got away with it, such as Genesis, and even then they sounded totally different when Phil Collins took over vocal duties). So to me, even though I admit it is out of habit, Ozzy is an essential part of the Black Sabbath line-up. He isn't the greatest singer, but his voice does fit songs like "Paranoid", "Iron man", "Sabbath bloody Sabbath" etc. His voice just suits those songs, I doubt another singer could do it better, even if that singer has a better vocal reach.

Likewise, I never got too much into Ozzy's solo records. Ozzy and Black Sabbath sort of belong together in my opinion, but again, it's a habit probably.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote