View Single Post
Old 13 Dec 2020, 04:25 AM   #9
earlybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus77 View Post
Using Safari - Like I said, fastmail.com is the ONLY website that EVER gets dinged for consuming too much energy - that's why I asked in the Fastmail forums. I don't know what script, etc Fastmail is running in the background.
What may cause this battery warning is that Fastmail installs a service worker which runs in the background that prevents the page from ever fully suspending -- usually, in current browsers, when a tab is not in focus and the content is not dynamic in relevant ways, the browser just suspends the execution of the entire web site context -- stops animations, stops background tasks, and so on.

Naturally, Fastmail needs to have components remain active in order to be able to poll the server if there's new messages -- it'll highlight the tab when new messages are there, or show notifications if you tell it to.

In any case, I wouldn't give 2cts on the Safari claim in the sense that it even causes a measurable difference in resource usage. Do you actually see increased CPU usage, or can you observe the CPU never entering it's lowest possible power states? If it's any indication, FM is one of the most responsive web apps I know and I never see any increased CPU or suchlike because of it, and I have it open all the time, in a pinned tab...
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote