View Single Post
Old 2 Oct 2021, 08:27 PM   #14
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
In the example you have given, I think the planned changes are reasonable. A wildcard alias that allows you to send messages identifying you as someone you are not while using a Fastmail domain is just the kind of issue the verification process is intended to prevent.
Yes of course. I think verification is a good thing.

That's not the point I raised in my ticket with FM. The point is that, having an alias of the form "*@letterboxes.org", the Verify logic is nonsensical or possibly a source of spam from FM.

Nonsensical - because there's no way that FM could verify it so they shouldn't be trying to. (They should probably also disallow wildcard identities for target domains that are not entirely owned by the user.)

Spam - because if (as they say) they'd send a confirmation mail to a random address in the specified domain, they'd send it to someone that isn't me. That someone would be being spammed by FM.

Also, the reason I had that Identity was because it allowed me to edit the /name/ part of a FROM address as I was composing a mail. I am not an idiot and did not use it alter the local part of a letterboxes.org address.

What I'd do when composing was:
- use the Identities dropdown menu first to pick the asterisk identity
- use the Identities dropdown menu again to pick the letterboxes identity that I actually wanted to use
- the system then showed me the chosen Identity in editable fields, whereupon I although in theory I could change any part of it, I only ever changed the name, eg changing "Jeremy Nicoll" to something facetious.

This sneaky way of editing a FROM address no longer works, and so I have deleted the asterisk alias. Now if I want to send an email with a silly name in the from field, I have to go through the much more long-winded method of going into Settings, editing the chosen Identity, saving it, composing the mail using it, then returning to Settings and reinstating the old value in the identity.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote