View Single Post
Old 12 Jun 2020, 01:52 AM   #8
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkn View Post
I doubt anyone would place the importance of their emails above another human life, but for sake of argument, I think Purelymail would also have a contingency plan in place...
Well I wouldn't consider using the service unless I knew that someone else did know all the passwords, system architecture and so on. I saw nothing on their website saying they do have technical backup.

Quote:
, and even if this weren't the case, I think it's much more of a problem if you have a toothache and your dentist has gone AWOL...
Dentistry has been inaccessible - except for dire emergency - around these parts, since lockdown started. People are just having to live with it. Even if there is an emergency dental service somewhere near(ish) how does one get there and back safely?

Quote:
... than if the guy who maintains your email service disappears, because the email service will (theoretically) remain functional for a while without human care...

Obviously mail servers require upkeep, so in the worst case scenario where Scott disappears and no one knows about it, I'd say you'd have a month or two to move your mail.
No, the worst case scenario is the system stops working immediately because there's something or other that he does manually every day that he's meaning to automate but hasn't yet. Or something that's done manually once a month... but tomorrow is the day it has to be done. Or a server crashes somewhere and no-one has the authority to restart it.

Quote:
I think the Dr. Strangelove scenario is far more likely: where someone at AWS goes rogue and begins maliciously taking out servers.
But even if that happens, AWS is surely sufficiently professionally well run that there's many engineers around who can restore services. Use of their datacentres is one of the few positives I see in this service.

Quote:
As for jurisdictions, I treat all email as insecure, so it's not so important. I don't think it's incumbent upon mail providers to offer protection from state-sponsored surveillance.
I'm not sure I have a view on where they are; I was just observing that finding out whose laws apply etc required some digging around on their website and I wondered why it wasn't more immediately apparent.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote