Thread: Side bar
View Single Post
Old 11 May 2021, 05:27 PM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
My idea for a new feature: I think that the most straightforward manner of configuring a particular email address to be used for sending invitations would be to add a choice for the email address/identity in the Settings>Account>Calendars>Edit & Share area for a particular named calendar. When you create an invitation, at the top you can choose which named calendar (with a color) is used to hold that event. If you could configure an email address/identity associated with each named calendar, then by setting the named calendar before sending the invitation you could determine the From address to be used. This would also allow an incoming invitation sent to you to be automatically placed on the correct calendar associated with that email address.Bill
That's exactly what I need to be able to use the calendar not just as a place to keep reminders for myself.
In the past FastMail promoted itself as a place where one can aggregate all one's email activity: deal with all one's email in one place.
So I get all my email forwarded to FastMail (or retrieved by FastMail), and send (almost) all of my email from Fastmail, using different identities.
So my activity is separated to several roles. In one role I communicate with family and friends. In another role I communicate with colleagues and customers at work (and I used to have several such "roles" with several employers in the past). In yet another role I am a consumer of goods and services. And these roles should not mix (expecialy not my "work" role with my "personal life roles"). To be able to act in all these roles in one email interface, for each role I have an identity or several identities and a separate set of folders. It's like having several email accounts, but are all in one screen, in separate folder trees (actually I still l receive most of the email in one common inbox, which is more convenient than separate inboxes as I am still one person, and then when I deal with them I place them in the appropriate folders).
That's why I don't really have a "default" identity, because neither my work identity nor my personal life identity can serve as a substitute for the other. to aggregate all my activity in one place I need a way to separate roles.
Folders and identities are quite good in achieving role separation with email (except that there's no way to force myself to select an identity before sending mail). Custom Sieve allows me to separate email handling rules by roles instead of by type of rules. The calendar doesn't fit right now with acting in different roles with separate identities in on interface.
So I really hope something like what you suggested here can be incorporated in the calendar, because it would be very useful for me and perhaps others that came to FastMail to be able to act in all their roles in one place.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote