View Single Post
Old 4 Feb 2022, 11:42 AM   #1
ralphzak

how would you deal with gmail butchering an email by inserting carriage returns?

I sent somebody an email by writing it in notepad, turning off wordwrap, and pasting it into a gmail window.. I clicked send.

Then I looked at the email in my sent folder and it is butchered with a load of carriage returns.

It's not possible to for example copy/paste that email back into notepad and have it as I pasted it in.

I could do it myself, copying the sent email to the clipboard, pasting it into gVim, using the "J" key to join lines together. And I know where the lines should and shouldn't be. Like where my lines were and where they've just inserted lines.

But the person receiving my email isn't technical

For example here is a story. Snow white and the seven dwarfs. https://www.dltk-teach.com/RHYMES/SNOWWHITE/story.htm

I can paste that into notepad, no word wrap.. and get full length lines..

I can paste that into a gmail window and still it wraps to the window depending on the size of the window..

Then I click send and the result in the sent folder is about 10 words per line no matter the size of the window.. It has stuck in carriage returns.

Even going to view original, or even download original , it shows a file with new lines, carriage returns, within my text, that have been stuck in there and weren't in what was there before I clicked send.

The only solution around that that I can imagine is to attach the text to send in a text file so that gmail , google's servers even, won't mess with the text.

I'm curious what other peoples experience is re this issue. It's very easy to see/replicate.
ralphzak is offline   Reply With Quote