View Single Post
Old 7 Sep 2009, 05:53 PM   #13
nooby
Essential Contributor

When you and I grew up we could listen to 80Meters and the only disturbances was crackling noise from distant Lightnings from thunderstorms and the neighbors TV but they shut it down when the programs ended for the day. And these where some 15 KHz apart so plenty of room for CW and SSB to come through even from all of europe and when lucky from Canada and USA too. But 20 meters was better for such and less strong disturbances too.

Then the Dimmers came and made weak signals hard to get and the Over the Distance RADAR was like a Woodpecker on the bands. Then computers sent out spikes all over the spectrum.

But the good thing with internet is that one can listen in on each others radios without it cost a fortune via Voip phone or Skype or similar if the conditions are too poor due to Sunspots.

I loved all the texts about building small QRPP under 100 MilliWatt transceivers and how to use Xtals on 3.5 or similar surplus build extremely good CW or SSB filters with high dynamics. Such was exciting.

But I was a poor builder. But I enjoyed planning and having the high expectations on how good it would work if ever being finally built.

Bill, one big issue was to find a place to live where they allowed Antennas big enough to be effective. Building restrictions and neighbors had their say in how big antennas allowed. You have a lot of trees outside your house.

Google maps nowadays allow us to spy on each others houses. I've looked at my Condo three store house and one see the cars on/in/at their parking lots but antennas are too thin to get revealed.

Internet is both good and bad. You most likely are right about it makes HAM radio less appealing. Easier to reach the whole world using internet.

And one can share music and pictures more easy over the internet too.
When we where young we where not allowed to play music over the radio now everybody can set up an internet radio station I guess. Only copyrights to consider.

good talking to you
nooby is offline   Reply With Quote