View Single Post
Old 28 Jul 2021, 04:08 PM   #9
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
Perhaps they cancelled their restrictions after some employees complained about not being able to register with username@dmv.ca.gov ...

It seems to me possible that this whole problem is the result of DMV hiring some barely competent young programmer to be in charge of this particular part of their software, and he has written a broken (i.e. insufficiently flexible) email address validator. Perhaps if you complain to them loudly enough, asking to speak to someone in the IT department, and explain clearly and angrily that it is unacceptable for a gov't agency to have a web site that rejects perfectly valid email addresses as invalid.... well.... you might be surprised that you might get through to them. And maybe that bonehead programmer will learn something as a result. No guarantees, of course... it is, after all, a gov't agency. I hate to say it but.. you know... in California, all the good/competent IT folk work for high pay in the private sector, and I suspect the public sector just gets the dregs left behind...

To get to something you asked at the top, I don't think you will find that any other character can replace '+' in plus-addressing, IF you want the special behaviors associated with that to work, namely, to have mail auto-filed into certain folders by FM. Of course you can use a '.' or '-' to separate words on the left side of an address, but those won't trigger the special '+' functionality.

Last edited by NumberSix : 28 Jul 2021 at 04:29 PM.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote