View Single Post
Old 1 Jul 2021, 01:45 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Be sure to check the advanced preferences of the Trash folder/label. The Auto-purge setting is at the very bottom. Auto-purge will only permanently delete messages which are not pinned. Messages are auto-purged based on the date they were deleted to Trash -- not the date the message arrived at your account.

If you use an email client with your Fastmail account, it may have an auto-purge setting which is deleting old messages in Trash. Fastmail has no control over how the messages are purged by such an external system, such as an email client connected using IMAP (which has access to all subscribed folders in your account). The external client can also delete pinned messages.

I set my Trash folder to auto-purge after 31 days. I just checked the Trash folder, and I see messages deleted in the past 31 days just as expected. I cleaned up a lot of folders by deleted old emails a couple of weeks ago, so those very old messages haven't reached the 31 day age limit yet, even though the message dates are from many years ago.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote