View Single Post
Old 30 Jan 2022, 10:02 PM   #13
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrostarr View Post
And I do not like to have to consistently revisit the question of "can I trust my email service provider to not throw my good email away." I want to kill the problem dead, once, and be done with it.
I don't think anyone can TOTALLY trust Bayesian spam filtering, which means you always have manually to check anything flagged as spam. That being so, I don't use it. I do though have hundreds of addresses for my incoming mails, one per company / person I deal with, and hundreds of filters matching those addresses. So pretty much any mail that fails to match on (specific incoming address & matching characteristics of the sender) combination is dubious.

I see quite a lot of mail-list mails where previous mails in a thread have been flagged as spam and thus eg Subject-line tags remain in all following replies, and for these it's always clear that someone-else's system missclassified an earlier mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrostarr View Post
I also managed our own Sieve inbound scripts--it wasn't hard. (Fastmail's Sieve stuff seems harder; there's a more-complex existing configuration where it's less clear to me where I should input my Sieve programming, or not. Or maybe it's just "new" and I don't want to have to take the effort to figure out Fastmail's Sieve base config. ;-) ).
I'd always put my Sieve code ahead of all (apart from the requires) of FM's generated stuff.

But their generator is pretty good ... provided that when setting conditions up, you click the "switch to no-preview rules" option.

I find it irritating that one can't insert a new rule where one wants; instead one lets their system add it then you have to find it and drag it to where you want it. And although I asked for this ages ago, they still don't allow one to clone an existing rule, which (especially if it got defined initially right next to the one it's based on) would save a colossal amount of time when one wants to set up several very similar rules. Maybe creative use of rule export/import would help for this, but I see that they export as JSON so I'd need to be certain I could manipulate those files correctly.

I have a lot of rules, set up in groups of related types of conditions, and between those groups I define dummy rules as a way of inserting comments in the list, eg before the rules for incoming mails from mail-lists hosted by groups.io, I have a rule

if mailing list id is exactly "-------------------------------------------------------- LISTS (groups.io - others)" then move mail to Inbox

(which of course is extremely unlikely every to happen), but the point is that the literal

"-------------------------------------------------------- LISTS (groups.io - others)"

stands out visually in the list of rules as one scrolls through it.

FM did also add a feature which I requested a while ago, which is nicknames for rules. IIRC I did this because especially with regex ones it's impossible to glance at them and know what they do, and with rules which have lots of conditions in them their scrolling list of rules only shows the lefthand part of the whole rule. The "nickname" can be a whole line of text and so it too can contain a sensible comment. One could make one's "nicknames" have structured/meaningful contents. For example one of my "nickname"s is

ID posts with no URLs in plain text part, ie 'added' etc preceded by someone's name (not end-span tag).

and that whole line of explanation is displayed in the scrolling list of rules.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote