Thread: New Interface
View Single Post
Old 5 Dec 2010, 09:07 PM   #8
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfolson View Post
What's being asked for in this thread is more like buying a car and then deciding you want to change the wheels, modify the suspension, put in a new engine, repaint it, and turn it into a tricked out custom ride. You can do all of that, but hey, you're going to have to do it yourself. You don't expect the company that made the car to create your custom hot rod for you. And you're probably not going to complain about the manufacturer because you need to understand engines (or hire a mechanic) when it's time to make your modifications.

That said, I miss the old menu of style sheets, too. But those styles -- many of which were created by users, not by FM -- were always options. They were the chrome on the wheels, not the wheels themselves.
You're undoubtedly correct ! When I first came to FM I was like a spoiled child, being able to have my pick of interface styles from the stylesheet gallery. I never knew the old interface without that huge list of styles. When the new -- and aesthetically plain -- interface came out I naturally assumed & hoped that it wouldn't be all that long before a gallery displaying a whole new collection of stylesheets would exist, allowing less-than-proficient users (speaking for myself) to have a similar experience of being spoiled as we were with the old one -- including being able to select them from a drop-down menu in FM's options. (For now, though, I'm satisfied with the changes I've been able to make with CSS and JS tweaks.)

But I'm just wondering.... have all those users who were so creative and worked so hard to make those old interface styles moved on to other services ? Are none interested in making new ones or in adapting even the ones they made to the new interface ? (I don't know how hard that would be for the stylesheet designers.)

It's too bad something couldn't be done like what they do with "Personas" for Firefox. Users must produce dozens of new personas every day !! I realize there are millions of users of FF, but it's just the idea of apparently being able to make those personas rather easily.
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote