View Single Post
Old 21 Oct 2022, 05:58 AM   #1
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Reminders / Notifications

Today I (again) missed an important meeting despite setting more than one reminder.
I had a reminder set on on the calendar event, and I also snoozed the invitation so it will reappear in the Inbox close to the start of the event, which should create a notification (which it did).

However, ever since I started using the Fastmail calendar, email notifications have degraded for me, since they are mixed with all the calendar notifications. So having a mail sent to myself has no extra value over the calendar notification.

Email messages are usually new data that I have not seen before, so I I want to be notified about some of them, it's because I want to be able to decide what to do with them when they arrive. Calendar notifications show no new data: they are just reminders I set for myself. My problem is that the FastMail app show email notifications together with calendar notifications mixed, instead of separating them. Actually what I need is a way to create some reminders that stand out. The calendar doesn't have any way to make some reminders more powerful than other reminders. To me some events are much more important than others.

I would have used the phone's alarm clock app to create a much more noticeable reminder, but it only allows setting an hour and a day in a week for recurring events, so it's not a replacement for a calendar.

I also don't see any way to determine what sound the notifications make in the android app. It seems that the only option is to use the same system alert sound that all other apps use with their useless alerts.

Any thoughts / suggestions?
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote