Originally Posted by markwolk View Post
john@example.com -> john's address @gmail
john@example.com -> john's address @hotmail
john@example.com -> john's address @runbox

mary@example.com -> mary's address @aol
mary@example.com -> john's address @gmail

family@example.com -> all of the above

etc.

Impossible to achieve with filters. (Possible with Tuffmail's Manager.)
I don't see how this is impossible to achieve with filters (it depends of course on what you refer to by "filters").
I only know Fastmail's interfaces, and I see at least two ways to do this with Fastmail (when the MX record of example.com points to Fastamil. Of couse it can be also done if the NS record points to Fastmail and then the MX record is points within Fastmail to Fastmail's servers by default).
One way would be to have an alias for each of john@example.com, mary@example.com family@example.com etc. and for each alias the target is the list of email addresses that mail would be forwarded to (I have several aliases with multiple targets). Usually most addresses would have the same list of targets so it's enough to set one *@example.com alias for these and separate aliases for those that that need different target lists. Also in the above example family@ could just list john@ and mary@ as the targets, and these emails would be forwarded to all the required destinations. I don't see any difference between this and using the same kind of service offered by a DNS company that offers SMTP forwarding. I guess many email providers and registrars offer this kind of forwarding. The difference would be only in the ser interface 9and the whether the user interface accepts multiple addresses as targets and what is the limit on the number of records the user is allowed, i.e. the number of aliases in Fastmail's terminology).

Another way is to target everything to the username, and then use filtering rules to forward any incoming email to all the required destinations. One would need to be careful not to terminate filtering before all conditions where checked. Also this may fail because of multiple copy suppression (if a mail message is received by several aliases that point to the same username, perhaps only one copy is passed on, and then the filtering would work only if all receiving aliases were recorded in the headers. I haven't checked what happens in this scenario).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote