View Single Post
Old 2 Aug 2021, 10:32 AM   #12
pjroutledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Just out of interest, have you been able to verify for sure that the special characters you believe you are entering in Android are really what you think they are. You are, I know, technically quite competent. However, I have seen hyphen and minus sign (for instance) mixed up not infrequently.
Ah, I confess that my comment was an aside, and probably off-topic.

My comment was triggered by the reference to the young programmer and I was referring to TLDs that are rejected by at least some Android apps. The TLD '.email' (eg <user>@<label>.email) for example is rejected. I'm less certain, but I think I've also had either '.xyz' or '.cloud' (or both) rejected too. If I've understood it correctly, RFC2821 effectively specifies a valid email address as '<a mailbox name>@<a resolvable FQDN>', whereas the Android test (my assumption) seems to expect variations of '.com' or 'com.<country code>' or '.org', etc, etc.

I suspect Android is the culprit because the same email addresses have been rejected when using a few different Android apps and browsers but they work fine on desktop operating systems (implying that the validity test fails before getting to the site).

Unfortunately I haven't kept records and I've moved on.

I apologise again - was not intending to hijack the thread.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote