View Single Post
Old 2 Oct 2021, 01:41 AM   #10
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
In the example I raised as a ticket [PTN 1471033], my wildcard alias was for

*@letterboxes.org

[For anyone else reading this, that's one of the FM-owned domains that anyone can use.]

I have a handful of registered specific letterboxes.org addresses. If you randomly pick an address @letterboxes.org you're extremely likely to spam someone who isn't me.

My suggestion that you don't offer a Verify button for such Identities has been given the "this is not on our roadmap" response, which I think is poor.
In the example you have given, I think the planned changes are reasonable. A wildcard alias that allows you to send messages identifying you as someone you are not while using a Fastmail domain is just the kind of issue the verification process is intended to prevent. If you have set up actual aliases, surely there are already specific sending identities associated with those aliases. Yes, I can see why the example I raised of covering for a colleague could make possession of the wildcard alias convenient, but (unlike in my case of the wildcard for a subdomain) there seems no solution that does not break the whole point of verification.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote