View Single Post
Old 31 May 2021, 12:45 PM   #9
pjroutledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
If the security is achieved by sending a link to the content that is then sent over https when the recipient requests the content of the message, then one can just put the content on any web server, such as Fastmail's files storage, and send a link (that can be protected with a password).
True, the difference being whether you want to send email or a document/file/attachment. With Protonmail you're sending a link to an encrypted email, rather than a link to [an encrypted] document/file such as would be the case with a document/file on a server. (I used the example of sending scanned documents, but you could use Protonmail to send a simple private email.)

Also note that Protonmail encrypted email links only work for a specified time (I think the default is 28 days), whereas content on a server would persist until removed.

I'm not saying that either is better, just that both may be valid use cases.

Quote:
Of course this kind of privacy protection protects the sender's privacy at the expense of the recipient's privacy, as the sender can know that the recipient has accessed the message, when the recipient accesses the message, from what IP address, and usually other stuff such as what browser etc.
Not sure about that. I expect that Protonmail would or could have a record of encrypted email being accessed, but as a sender I haven't been able to find anything to confirm that an encrypted email has been accessed by the recipient, nor IP addresses, etc.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote