View Single Post
Old 21 Nov 2020, 10:02 PM   #11
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
Certainly at the time that we pulled back from it, we discovered that it wasn't very productive use of our time - that we were better either working on new features or solving specific customer problems via support tickets than debating the merits of particular approaches on here!

We do still drop by occasionally to see what's being discussed here, particularly when somebody brings a specific thread to our attention.

But of course, the team is a lot bigger now and that makes the issue even more acute that if everyone spends multiple hours per day engaging on a discussion platform, they're not spending that time solving specific customer problems or building features that benefit everybody!
Well, I do not see why maintaining two-way communication between FastMail and its most motivated clients needs to involve everyone in the company. A couple of suitable staff who would know when involving others might be productive would be quite sufficient. I would argue that having a larger staff would mean that maintaining the kind of close knit community we enjoyed in the early days would actually be much less costly as a percentage of the company's costs. However, I recognise that this is a ship that has sailed, and no one is going to turn the clock back.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote