View Single Post
Old 20 Nov 2012, 09:40 PM   #19
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Bell View Post
ESPN, Sky, Sky Sports and Setanta are subscription. Pubs etc. have to pay more, they get a small beer glass in the corner of the picture to show that they've paid the fee.
I am surprised though that non-UK-based pubs can get the subscription as well as opposed to operate only in the UK itself. I have seen pubs as far as Istanbul that had Sky or ESPN on TV to show English football.

(PS what is the thing with English football being watched in all those other countries while those same pubs will rarely show Spanish or Italian football for example ... In almost every European city, English football is just a short walk to the pub away, while meanwhile other famous leagues are sometimes not shown at all)

With all those channels available across the globe (I have Moroccan TV, Al Jazeera, Italian and Spanish TV channels, CNN and one other US broadcast focusing on the news, ... and with internet streams you can easily find Russian, Chinese, Arabic, etc TV online now) I wonder if there is any place still cut off from international TV?

I mainly think about very remote sparsely populated places. I read a travel guide on the Pacific Islands the other week (a few have a decent population nr such as Guam, Fiji, New Caledonia etc, but some others such as Nauru, Niue, Pitcairn or Tokelau all have less than 10000 citizens -- in case of Pitcairn even less than 100 !) and I was wondering if there would be any TV channel catering those very remote islands with only a couple of hundreds people living there. In theory you'd say that an island as remote and sparsely populated as Nauru or Tuvalu would not have a TV station since the costs to set it up and the number of potential viewers would make it too expensive. On the other hand I also cannot imagine that those people, no matter how remote the islands, would be cut off from the rest of the world. There must be some way that even on the remotest islands people just watch TV , but I wonder if we should imagine a minimum number of channels or if they have all the big channels like BBC, CNN, etc?

Also, would really remote islands such as the Falklands, Niue, St Helena, etc have their own TV station with local news and announcements? Even on a remote atoll, there is a local social life and things that deserve media attention happen from time to time. So I wonder if they just have a few internationally available channels or if even those tiny islands would have their own TV stations?

@ janusz: I have tried to find Israeli streaming TV yes, I did find a few broadcasts but the quality was quite low. One exception was a sports orientated channel which indeed had a good quality both image and sound wise, and with Hebrew commentary.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote