EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 8 Jan 2003, 05:47 PM   #1
Edwin
 Administrator 

Best $1 you've ever spent?

Here's an interesting question, especially given the wide variety of countries and backgrounds forum members are from.

What's the best value you've managed to get for $1 (or local-currency equivalent)?

To make it "realistic" especially in light of the fact that members are aged from 14-80+, let's assume that we're talking about a purchase made in the last 10 years, since in most countries inflation will blur the picture too much if we go back further

Here's my top picks:-

1) A plastic turntable I picked up recently for 100 yen (about $0.85) which now supports my LCD monitor and 1) keeps it off the desk - minimizing dust and 2) allows me to swivel it at any angle I like depending on my mood. It's a very simple product, but seems incredibly robust and allegedly will support up to 65KG i.e. a very large TV set!

2) Four brand new books (I forget which ones now...) that I picked up in around 1995 for 50p (about $0.90 at the time) via a mail-order book club offer that amazingly genuinely came with NO STRINGS ATTACHED (I cancelled my membership immediately, was never bothered again and kept the books)
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Jan 2003, 09:00 PM   #2
Gankaku

I haven't gotten much larger value items for a buck, but our local dollar stores have tons of great stuff for a dollar!

I recently bought:

*a bag of about a 100 pieces of blue-hued hairbands of different styles and sizes, for my daughter (probably $5 value in the store)

*an around-the-neck style key holder (the sporty ones with the clip on the end). I've seen them go as high as $10.

*some Debbie Mum (she paints cute country-style images for handcrafts/notes/calendars, etc.) kitchen towels. They are the softest and most absorbant kitchen towels I've ever seen. I bought them all out (about 10 pieces) and are using as gifts in giftboxes.

In the past I've gotten:

*Medium sized, hand-stained shelving. $14.99 retail for $1.

I regularly pick up phone equipment (2 way jacks), telephone extension cords for my phones and internet connection, envelopes, gift wrap, laundry baskets (yep - got two strong baskets for $1 each)...etc. All this stuff is much more than a dollar in any other store.

Outside of that I can't remember picking up a real great one-dollar deal anywhere else.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2003, 10:23 PM   #3
munchkin

Four vintage style Fender volume and tone pots - white, to match my guitar.
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2003, 11:35 PM   #4
kchess79
Master of the @

I picked up one of my FAVORITE books (The Kitchen God's Wife, by Amy Tan) at a used bookstore for $.75 once...perfect condition (I'd read my old one to pieces).

GREATEST DEAL EVER (for me)...I picked up a copy of the Death of Superman at a Wal-Mart for $.75 as well...it was just sitting there! If anyone collects comics, they know that even at the time, it was worth a lot more than $.75! I had someone offer $150 for it about 3 years ago (didn't take it, I'm sentimental about my comics).
kchess79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2003, 02:40 AM   #5
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Like kcehss79, I've bought many used books from (among other places) the public library for $1 or so, although none stands out at the moment. BTW, I bought "The Death of Superman" and "World Without a Superman" at Sam's Club. Neither was $1 but both were incredibly cheap.
Other than that, any number of simple things for our daughter, like a sand dollar during our Florida vacation. A child's smile for $1? No better bargain anywhere!

Best wishes,
David P.

Last edited by Dave P in StLouis : 9 Jan 2003 at 02:43 AM.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2003, 02:43 AM   #6
kchess79
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave P in StLouis
A child's smile for $1? No better bargain anywhere!
Awwww...that just brightened my day
Old 9 Jan 2003, 06:10 AM   #7
lux
The "e" in e-mail

Talking

I joined a trial club for two months for $1. I used the coupon to save about 20 dollars. Then they mailed me a rebate offer saying that I could eat at any local restaurant I want and get reimbursed for up to 20 dollars. I took that offer, too... Then I cancelled the trial membership before it expires...
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2003, 01:07 AM   #8
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Smile How could I forget?

Quote:
Like kcehss79, I've bought many used books from (among other places) the public library for $1 or so, although none stands out at the moment. . . .
A couple of years ago, I bought some bundles of used paperback books at a charity auction, for a price that worked out to about $1 per book. One of the books was Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker. It's a sort of biography of a dinosaur (specifically, a Utahraptor). It became one of our daughter's favorite books; she's read it at least three or four times.
The money I put in the parking meter when I give blood. Less than a buck to save a life? You bet!
The phone call I made when I asked my wife out on our first date, which will be 22 years ago in August. Less than a buck for a lifetime of true love. (Well, the down payment anyway. )

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2003, 01:38 AM   #9
kchess79
Master of the @

Re: How could I forget?

Quote:

The phone call I made when I asked my wife out on our first date, which will be 22 years ago in August. Less than a buck for a lifetime of true love. (Well, the down payment anyway. )
Oh, you're just all about the sweetness, aren't you? That's adorable
Old 6 Sep 2021, 06:43 AM   #10
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
1) A plastic turntable I picked up for 100 yen!
Wow thats really good Edwin!!! (Those cost alot more than that)

The BEST dollar I ever spent was probably at a record store.. There was a Van Morrison album in the $1 bin and I have no idea why!! -- It is in perfect condition (The jacket is a little messy maybe thats why) I got it a couple years ago....

I would say it is his BEST album: Veedon Fleece (1974)

http://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFi...on_Fleece.html

I find alot of good stuff in the dollar bin actually but that is one that really stands out to me.....

Last edited by Bamb0 : 2 Mar 2023 at 06:59 AM.
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote