EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 18 Mar 2021, 02:12 AM   #16
digp
Master of the @

Has anyone managed to get keepass to work with dropbox or similar to sync across devices like 1password, have tried several times in the past but it just breaks, it's not a real sync
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2021, 07:07 PM   #17
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I've donated to KeePass in the past. Great product. I also use KeePass2Andriod on my cell phone. I donated to that was well.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2021, 05:05 PM   #18
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
I've been using KeePass for years now.

There is more in there than one could ever need. It's got a lot of bells and whistles if you want to dig in.

One thing I love about it is there are a lot of plugins (for your special needs!). I use one called KeeTheme and it's a dark mode theme. It works well and is regularly updated. It's necessary that I use dark themes and dark mode everywhere now. If KeePass didn't have it, I could not use it.
I would be interested to learn what plugins and settings you use, since you've used Keepass for quite a while.

I've tried the KeeTheme plugin, it's not too bad, but I feel there's not enough contrast between the normal text and URL links. It would be good if there was some way to change the color of the URL links, to, say, a lime green. That may look better against a darker background.

I had attempted to set up backups, using the trigger option, but couldn't get it to work for me - just nothing happened.

However, I've added the KPSimpleBackup plugin, and that's working ok.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2021, 05:21 PM   #19
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

I've switched to Bitwarden. I'm not overenthusiastic, but can live with it.
janusz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2021, 02:00 PM   #20
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
Has anyone managed to get keepass to work with dropbox or similar to sync across devices like 1password?
I u/l a copy of the .kbdx file, usually via FTP. So that file is now one of my backups and also one that I can d/l however I can to where I need it. This is all done manually and is not truly a sync, but this process has never sunk for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I would be interested to learn what plugins and settings you use, since you've used Keepass for quite a while.

I've tried the KeeTheme plugin, it's not too bad, but I feel there's not enough contrast between the normal text and URL links. It would be good if there was some way to change the color of the URL links, to, say, a lime green. That may look better against a darker background.

I had attempted to set up backups, using the trigger option, but couldn't get it to work for me - just nothing happened.

However, I've added the KPSimpleBackup plugin, and that's working ok.
I have used KeePass for quite some time as well. Here are the plugins I use and the ones of those I appreciate a lot.
  1. AlternateAutoType
  2. KeePassQuickUnlock
  3. KeeTheme
  4. ReadablePassphrase
  5. YetAnotherFaviconDownloader
I find the first three to be very useful but I do use the other two as well. If only one plugin could be used, I would certainly opt to use the KeeTheme one. I don't have a problem with my display of text and link text. Then you said you had an issue with the link text and the background color. Color choices can be made for each of those, plus more if wanted, elements. The 'KeeTheme theme' I'm using makes the whole KeePass GUI background kinda dark, with off-white text and blue link text. I usually have the iconized toolbar turned off too.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2021, 11:03 PM   #21
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
I have used KeePass for quite some time as well. Here are the plugins I use and the ones of those I appreciate a lot.
I've had a look at the plugins you are using, the QuickUnlock looked interesting, but after reading up on the plugin, it seems if you already have an existing key file, you have to browse/select that key file each time you open the database, as the QuickUnlock overrides that?

So using that plugin, it would seem to lengthen the login process, unless I'm misunderstanding it.

I initially thought that QuickUnlock would be something like, if you've already opened a database, and it locks after X minutes. To be able to enter just a pin number to unlock that database. It's not like that.

Keetheme I already have, but it's limited configuration is disappointing.

The Favicon plugin is nice, to get favicons for the entries, although it does make the database file size larger. It also retains the favicons if you open the database on a different computer, that does not have the Favicon plugin installed.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 04:20 AM   #22
somdcomputerguy

I find the quick unlock plugin to be just as useful as the KeeTheme one, which seems to me to be more configurable than I need. I don't use a key file, so I don't know how that and the plugin interact. It's just a lot more convenient (although slightly riskier, technically) for me to enter an 8 character 'pass phrase' to unlock the database rather than its' 24 character master pass phrase at least a half dozen times a day. I use the favicon plugin almost only for aesthetics, although it does sometimes make 'spotting' a particular entry easier.

- Bruce
Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:00 AM   #23
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I use the KeeTheme plug-in as well
Bruce,

I recall that you use the Pale Moon browser, are you still using it?

Does this browser have plug-ins for Keepass?
Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:06 AM   #24
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Does this browser have plug-ins for Keepass?
If you mean 'auto form fill' type plug-ins, no. Pale Moon isn't chromed or exploded enough to use those types of plug-ins.

- Bruce

eta: I think of the Pale Moon browser as one in which every extension or plug-in works, except for the ones that are designed to work in only one or a very few types of browser.
Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:12 AM   #25
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
If you mean 'auto form fill' type plug-ins, no.
Recently, Firefox has become ultra slow (for me anyway) when opening up - once open after a few minutes, it starts to speed up. I thought perhaps Pale Moon would be better, but if no Keepass plug-ins, then I'll pass.

Finding myself using the new Edge browser in preference to Chrome, it's quick (for me anyway) and has the Keepass plug-ins.
Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:25 AM   #26
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Recently, Firefox has become ultra slow (for me anyway) when opening up - once open after a few minutes, it starts to speed up. I thought perhaps Pale Moon would be better, but if no Keepass plug-ins, then I'll pass.

Finding myself using the new Edge browser in preference to Chrome, it's quick (for me anyway) and has the Keepass plug-ins.
Actually I started using Pale Moon because Firefox (the browser I used to use) was becoming slower and slower, especially at start. I could use all the Firefox plug-ins I had come to rely on and that made the switch even easier.

I use MS Edge on occasion also. More frequently now I've noticed that I use it more because I want to, rather than have to.

As far as any type of auto fill anything, I don't like that process so I don't need any plug-ins or extensions to do it for me.

- Bruce
Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:30 AM   #27
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
As far as any type of auto fill anything, I don't like that process so I don't need any plug-ins or extensions to do it for me.
So how do you use Keepass, is it copy/paste, or drag to the field?
Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:32 AM   #28
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
> Actually I started using Pale Moon because Firefox (the browser I used to use) was becoming slower and slower, especially at start.

Firefox defaults to DoH now for DNS. Try turning that off and see if it speeds up:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...#39;%20queries.
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:34 AM   #29
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
So how do you use Keepass, is it copy/paste, or drag to the field?
Almost always Auto-Type, a built-in function of KeePass. Occasionally, I have a small dish of copypasta..
Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:35 AM   #30
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I've just downloaded Pale Moon, I'll give it a go!