EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 24 Oct 2012, 08:32 PM   #16
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

I concur wholeheartedly with David! Some people I know have 600 or more *friends* on their Facebook, and only perhaps 10 of them are people that they are actual friends with.

The young people (thinking of my own 5 kids here) are adding their friend's friends, and half the kids from their schools, etc. When an argument ensues, such as "I cannot believe what she said! Check our her to be honest post, gee", they quickly block certain people, then unblock after.. I personally find the entire Facebook a bit of a joke. It isn't anything I ever want to have myself.

The people I want to be in contact with; I am, whether it be via emails, phone calls, getting together in person, and I even still write actual real letters to people once in a while!

Susan
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2012, 11:14 AM   #17
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

I was just watching The Social Network again on television. I wonder if that led etiher to more people signing up, or mor people giving it up.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2012, 08:38 PM   #18
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I wanted to watch the film but found it a bit boring so I stopped watching after a while. I am not that curious anyway about the backgrounds of a service I am not using myself, and let's say when it comes to bio pics there's more interesting folks than Zuckerberg to make a film about.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2012, 01:39 AM   #19
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
I was just watching The Social Network again on television. I wonder if that led etiher to more people signing up, or mor people giving it up.
I've seen that movie several times (not in a theater though), and I've 'given up' on Facebook every time..
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2012, 04:59 PM   #20
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Zuckerberg 'private' family photo exposed by Facebook sharing

I think one of the comments posted sums it all up quite well:

If you want to live your private / semi private life, a "click" from the public domain, put up with the consequences.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2013, 10:05 PM   #21
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quite worrying story from my native Belgium: a group of idiots (sorry for the term) first approached and "befriended" a group of teenage girls, then copied their photos from their profile and pasted those photos of these girls on a new Facebook group called "slüts from ... (insert name of city)". Other than this insult they added very harmful comments to some of the pictures, such as "also does drugs" and similar comments.

The Belgian police received over 10 official complaints (in a few days time) from the girls victim to this sick joke, but the police says they can only trace and punish the "prankers" if Facebook releases their IP. Which Facebook has not done as yet.

This is really worrying. A teenager could end up depressed or laughed at simply because of a sick "joke" like this. My respect for Facebook would rise if they would decided to fully cooperate with the Belgian police to help them trace who is responsible for this. Now here is a chance for Facebook to prove that they indeed care about privacy and protection of their users, all they have to do is pass the demanded info to the Belgian police. Not much efford, but it would be a strong sign that Facebook is serious about protecting the privacy and comfort of its users. Facebook has been criticised by many here in Belgium, even though a lot of people use it frequently. I think they can counter some of the critics if they show now that indeed they are willing to take action against those who abuse their platform/social network.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 03:21 PM   #22
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

7 Ways to Be Insufferable on Facebook

Some of these traits also appear here on the EMD forum?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wait-b...b_4081038.html
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2013, 04:12 PM   #23
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Tsunami we have these sad stories in Sweden too.
FB should shape up they have too much power
and if you have power you should play nice or else
you abuse all that power which is not nice at all.

Yahoo has a drive now that I should join Facebook.

But I am already on FB but signed up with my Gmail account.

Little did they know
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2013, 03:30 AM   #24
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

The little effords they make against abuse are by far insufficient. The ONLY pro Facebook argument I can think of, is that Mark Zuckerberg donates to charity quite often (but given his fortune he can afford a donation now and then).

I remember an Icelandic gambling service only years ago; to prove to be over 18 they required for every new account created a copy of ID to be faxed to them. THAT is what I call security. I accept that Facebook has too many users to verify all of that, but if they would they could at least report abusers with full details to authorities. They do make effords for better security but they seem to never make a drastic one that would likely work. Customer safety should always get priority over profit.