EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Apr 2014, 01:57 PM   #1
IanO

Classic Search Change - substrings no longer work

It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't quickly find some emails by typing part of a word. From the blog (April 3rd 2014):

"However the general consensus from classic users is that they’d really like the improved search that the current interface comes with. So today we’ve rolled out a change that better unifies the search syntax on both the classic and current interfaces."

What consensus? Guess I am not part of that.

If you type part of a word the you know is in some emails it will not find them. Now you need to type the whole word. It will find a substring if you type substr:exam (if you were looking for example). But that defeats the point.
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Apr 2014, 02:58 AM   #2
Chipper
Master of the @

I've been experiencing problems with searching as well.

I used to type "faceb" and it would return all email notifications from Facebook. This is no longer working. Does anyone know a way to get this to work again? I'm using Classic Interface.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2014, 06:33 AM   #3
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

That is correct, substring search is no longer the default in the Classic search. The blog post explains how unadorned text is handled:
It will do a fast indexed search of the from, to, cc, bcc and subject headers as well as the message body content... This search is done on words/terms with stemming where possible, not sub-strings. This searches the current folder by default on classic, and across all folders by default on the current interface. On classic, you can check the “All” checkbox to search across all folders.

If you want to revert to the historical sub-string searching of headers, you can use the substr: modifier. Some more examples:
  • example – fuzzy search from/to/cc/bcc/subject headers and message bodies for the word “example”
  • body:example – fuzzy search message bodies for the word “example”
  • to:example – fuzzy search to/cc/bcc headers for the word “example”
  • onlycc:example – fuzzy search cc header for the word “example”
  • substr:example – search from/to/cc/subject headers (but not body content) for the substring “example”
  • substr:(dinner john) – search from/to/cc/subject headers for both substrings “dinner” and “john”
  • substr:(body:example) – search message body content for the substring “example” (warning: likely very slow!)
  • substr:(to:example) - search to/cc/bcc headers for the substring “example”
  • substr:(onlycc:example) - search cc header for the substring “example”
To the blog post list should have been added:
Which is the simple behaviour (scope) I came to expect in the old Classic search.

And from the Help page on mailbox searching:
Phrases are matched on a complete basis with stemming (all different forms of the same word are treated as equivalent). This means, for example, a search for bus will match "buses" but not "business".
Using substr to wrap other search terms changes their behaviour. Instead of matching stemmed whole words, search terms will be matched on a straightforward "contains" basis. This means that even partial words or parts within words will match. For example, substr:(from:ber) will match an email from "Robert", because "ber" is contained in "Robert". Please note that searching for substrings will be significantly slower than regular searches.
--
Initially I was annoyed by the change, as looking for emails from a sender was my most common need, but I quickly came to appreciate the speed and value of a quick search of both headers and body.

Stem searches are much faster than searching by substring.

The keyboard shortcut for search is / (slash).

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stemming

Last edited by pjwalsh : 14 Apr 2014 at 09:58 AM.
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2014, 09:16 AM   #4
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
I used to type "faceb" and it would return all email notifications from Facebook. This is no longer working. Does anyone know a way to get this to work again? I'm using Classic Interface.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 02:55 AM   #5
IanO

@Chipper

This was my original point; I used to be able to type a simple short string, but now I need to add a modifier or type a whole word. Instead of just typing faceb, now you need to type (see pjwalsh's posts):
Just typing facebook should also work.

You should also be able to use:
substr:faceb
to get the original behavior.

@pjwalsh

Thanks for the great explanation. It's still annoying; guess I will just have to learn to type better
Old 18 Apr 2014, 10:30 PM   #6
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Actually, it takes just two keystrokes
/ , f
to present a search box dropdown of all prior entries starting with f
will be first if it was your last used search,
select, hit enter
done.

Quick!
Old 22 Apr 2014, 09:21 AM   #7
IanO

Hmm, thanks for the tip, not working for me though. Probably all the browser saved strings for the search box (I have that feature switched off).
Old 4 Jun 2014, 05:24 PM   #8
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

I had been frustrated by the apparent lobotomization of the search function on Classic one too many times, and came here looking for answers...

Just wanna say thanks, pjwalsh, for the extremely helpful explanations!

As usual, things have actually gotten better, while I've failed to notice...
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2014, 04:25 AM   #9
hankfoner
Essential Contributor

Searching

I had occasion to search for a certain address today on the new interface. I couldn't find the mail though I knew it was there. Thus I came upon this thread and the whole issue of stemming and substrings. I can see some of the advantages of stemming but believe that most people searching for an email address in the INBOX would prefer the substring search. However I think it is too much to ask the ordinary user to remember "substr: (....)". Why cannot there be a radio button in the search box to enable a choice of search methods?
Hank
hankfoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2014, 09:56 PM   #10
NJSS
Master of the @

May I reinforce Hank's suggestion above - surely it would not be difficult to implement?

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2014, 05:28 AM   #11
wrycoder

The new search by "whole word" is really weird. It seems to find words with a shorter root than what I search for. e.g. I'm searching for PyconES and it finds all the mail with Pycon<whatever>. Searching for Pycon gives the same list, appending 'e' gives same list.

"subjectycones" gives the same long list - everything with a word Pycon\w+

That was a colon p, btw!

I don't think search should stem on words shorter than the term submitted.

substr does work.

regex search would be nice.
wrycoder is offline   Reply With Quote