EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:40 AM   #31
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by popowich View Post
Firefox defaults to DoH now for DNS. Try turning that off and see if it speeds up:
Thanks for that information. However I have no interest in using the Firefox browser or any Mozilla product at all. I even stopped using Thunderbird 5 or 6 years ago.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:44 AM   #32
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I've just downloaded Pale Moon, I'll give it a go!
Cool Beans. Lemme know if you conjure a question or three.

- Bruce
Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:50 AM   #33
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

First thing I've done is find an ad blocker, Adblock Latitude is the first one that popped up!

What are you using instead of Thunderbird?

I guess I've just got used to it, it works well for me.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2021, 07:04 AM   #34
somdcomputerguy

I use the uBO ad blocker as well as ABL.

For a while after I stopped using Mozilla products, I probably tried several different email client programs. In fact, I know I did, I don't remember exactly how many or which ones though. The Bat! comes to mind if I try to focus on that very gray cloud list.. I just used my browser and the mail services webmail. Some smallish number of years ago I started using interlink/ for an email client.
Old 5 May 2021, 10:32 PM   #35
somdcomputerguy

In the interest in keeping a thread alive and slightly off-rail, and maybe even providing some information that may be useful/informative for anyone, let me say that another use I have for KeePass is as a 'bookmark manager'. There are site URLs that are present only in my database, not in any 'browser bookmark list'. I 'surf' to a particular site, like my bank for ie., then use the user/pass info to log into that particular site. I don't use any 'auto form fill and submit' type plugins, just the applications' Auto-Type hotkey or menu entry/button, before or after I simply make sure the first field (usually a username) has focus.

- Bruce
Old 5 May 2021, 10:47 PM   #36
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Yes, KeePass is not just useful as a password manager.

Do you remember Cardfile?

I also use KeePass as my cardfile, keeping useful information, tips on how to do things, etc.
Old 5 May 2021, 10:55 PM   #37
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
No, I'm not familiar with that application. I also use KeePass to 'store' additional information.

- Bruce
Old 5 May 2021, 11:05 PM   #38
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
In the interest in keeping a thread alive and slightly off-rail, and maybe even providing some information that may be useful/informative for anyone, let me say that another use I have for KeePass is as a 'bookmark manager'. There are site URLs that are present only in my database, not in any 'browser bookmark list'.
This is really easy to do with most dedicated password managers. I do this with Bitwarden. You can store the URL for say your bank login page and just launch it from within Bitwarden. I also have it set so that it doesn't automatically fill in credentials for me, but it does have an extension that will let me know if there is a stored username/password for a particular site. There's also a place for Notes with each password, and I use this for storing all sorts of information for particular sites. Stuff like the answers to security questions, instructions for using the site, notes from the last time I used it, etc.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 11:11 PM   #39
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
This is really easy to do with most dedicated password managers.
Yes, something that I find very useful in KeePass is available in many other password managers as well.

- Bruce
Old 17 May 2021, 04:15 AM   #40
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
Has anyone managed to get keepass to work with dropbox or similar to sync across devices like 1password, have tried several times in the past but it just breaks, it's not a real sync
I have mine on webdav. If you have a webdav server like on Fastmail and need help let me know.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 04:19 AM   #41
Gankaku

Quote:
I would be interested to learn what plugins and settings you use, since you've used Keepass for quite a while.

I've tried the KeeTheme plugin, it's not too bad, but I feel there's not enough contrast between the normal text and URL links. It would be good if there was some way to change the color of the URL links, to, say, a lime green. That may look better against a darker background.

I had attempted to set up backups, using the trigger option, but couldn't get it to work for me - just nothing happened.

However, I've added the KPSimpleBackup plugin, and that's working ok.
What do you mean backups? Or do you mean syncing? I have my database on a webdav server. And when I login for the first time on say, an Android device, you login to your webdav server, download that to your phone, and when it's done save a copy to your phone. Then you can open from your phone (with a password). You can choose not to have it kept on your phone but you would only have ONE copy on your webdav server (which what if you forgot to pay for your webdav service? oops bye bye database). It's better to keep a backup on your device and use the webdav db as your main to sync to and from.

I haven't messed with URL links, I can look. But I did change my font and it's way way easier on my eyes. (edit: yeah I didn't find anything but that doesn't mean you can't suggest it on the forum, which I did to get the dark theme.)

Something else I use KeePass for is keeping some technical notes. Like, how to set up KeePass with webdav haha If there's something I know will take me hours again to research how to do it, I will put those notes into KeePass.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 12:09 PM   #42
chrisretusn

Quote:
Yes, KeePass is not just useful as a password manager.

I also use KeePass as my cardfile, keeping useful information, tips on how to do things, etc.
Hmm... interesting use for KeePass I never thought of. On my phone I use Keep Notes, on my computer I use KDE Knotes

Cardfile, after seeing the picture, yes I do remember Cardfile
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 12:13 PM   #43
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
Has anyone managed to get keepass to work with dropbox or similar to sync across devices like 1password, have tried several times in the past but it just breaks, it's not a real sync
I use Dropbox to store my password database. Works quite well across three devices. This computer and two cell phones.
Old 17 May 2021, 05:17 PM   #44
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I had my KeePass database on a WebDAV server, but noticed a delay in opening/loading up the program. I am using the Favicon plugin which increases the file size of the database and so contributes to the delay.

I've never been really 100% comfortable with the database stored on the server, so decided on a compromise - I have the database local on my main computer, and when necessary, then encrypt a local copy and save that to the server instead.

If I need an up-to-date copy of the database on a different computer, I can then download and extract as necessary.
Old 17 May 2021, 08:08 PM   #45
chrisretusn

Quote:
I had my KeePass database on a WebDAV server, but noticed a delay in opening/loading up the program. I am using the Favicon plugin which increases the file size of the database and so contributes to the delay.
I made the mistake of adding some attachments. That really adds a delay.

Quote:
I've never been really 100% comfortable with the database stored on the server, so decided on a compromise - I have the database local on my main computer, and when necessary, then encrypt a local copy and save that to the server instead.
I am still not comfortable but the KeePass database is encrypted and I have a strong Master Password committed to memory. My computer is backed up daily so I have a local copy and a copy on Dropbox. I access the local Dropbox copy with Keepass2Andriod on my cell phones.

At one time I tried using a Key File. I may still go with that and keep a copy on my local devices. The KeePass database is useless without that key file so if someone manages to get it from Dropbox, it would be useless. I just have to figure out a method I am comfortable with with in keeping backups of that key file. I learned the hard way if you loose the key file your database will not be accessible. Lucky for me I had a backup for the database in a plan text file stored in an encrypted container.