EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 Apr 2010, 03:34 AM   #61
EvilPeppard
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
Indeed. But, those who have read the Privacy Policy, particularly the "How we use and disclose your information" section, should reconsider.

That's not to say we should not use such services. But, we should not kid ourselves about the extent of privacy within services like Google AND Fastmail.
So which email service should users consider for the best privacy, dependability, and least amount of security risk?

Maybe there is no such provider and people should consider running their own mail server?

I personally like FM and have been with them as a paid subscriber for years. I agree their web interface appears dated, but I will say I can use it just fine.

If an alternative existed that gave me all the features FM gives that I use, including the ones below (in no particular order), I would consider it:

- my main FM email address is not revealed in the header when I send email out from any of my aliases.
- virtually unlimited email aliases
- custom signatures for each identity that switch automatically
- fast searches via web interface

Some people are always looking for the latest and greatest. I am one of those people from time to time, but in the end, I would rather my identity and information be as safe as possible in a world full of people looking to steal it.

Who can you really trust when it comes to hosted products and electronic exchanges in information?
EvilPeppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2010, 03:48 AM   #62
hobbes

I think you should stick with FM.

I just don't think we should see FM with a halo and Gmail with horns with respect to privacy and the laws of the land.
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2010, 03:55 AM   #63
mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPeppard View Post
So which email service should users consider for the best privacy, dependability, and least amount of security risk?
[snip]
Who can you really trust when it comes to hosted products and electronic exchanges in information?
Hushmail has an excellent privacy policy: they "will absolutely not release user data without a court order from the Supreme Court of British Columbia, Canada .... In addition, we require that any such court order refer specifically by email address to any account for which data is required.”

Moreover, they are frank about the limits of the privacy the company offers. For example, they state plainly that they can be required to subvert their own encryption. From my perspective, they neither over- nor under-promise.

I’m not sure that they meet all your needs, though, particularly regarding custom signatures.
mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2010, 04:04 AM   #64
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner View Post
Hushmail has an excellent privacy policy: they "will absolutely not release user data without a court order from the Supreme Court of British Columbia, Canada .... In addition, we require that any such court order refer specifically by email address to any account for which data is required.”
Sounds fine to me, on paper (or on screen....) at least.
I just wonder how does it square with the British Columbia's legal system. Can an information release order be issued exclusively by the Supreme Court? Can such an order say 'show me all emails sent in February from IP address xx.xx.xx.xx' ?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2010, 04:04 AM   #65
EvilPeppard
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner View Post

Moreover, they are frank about the limits of the privacy the company offers. For example, they state plainly that they can be required to subvert their own encryption. From my perspective, they neither over- nor under-promise.

I’m not sure that they meet all your needs, though, particularly regarding custom signatures.
Thanks. I personally am not seriously looking to switch, but I like to at least keep up on what is available as solid alternatives to anything.

For fun, I will look at their site and what they have to offer.
EvilPeppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2010, 12:56 PM   #66
jon348fmf

personally, I haven't read the previous posts, so if I step on your argument or position or I am just repeat something please forgive me.

personally, i tend to repeat these kinds of words, I hope that fastmail.fm / emaildiscussions.com offers security, because they certainly don't offer an interface that is user friendly. I like the flexibility of hosting things like dns and files so that I could have a simple website, but I find the online interface tiring. (hopefully, I just don't know my way around and I'm jumping the gun and things are better for the other online users... maybe I just need to use an IMAP client....)

just my thoughts,

-jon
jon348fmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2010, 02:58 PM   #67
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

go into your account and try the old interface....its much nicer but wont be there for ever.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2010, 11:16 PM   #68
jon348fmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
go into your account and try the old interface....its much nicer but wont be there for ever.
thanks for that. I think part of my problem is that it seems I'm always having to log in. It seems that happens sometimes when I just finished doing something else. On the other hand, FM really seems to geared towards the techie in many of us.

-jon
jon348fmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2010, 09:56 AM   #69
steventay

good luck since Opera take over fastmail so it will be like google mail....
steventay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2010, 10:04 AM   #70
steventay

so will fastmail lose to runbox ? Since Opera take over...

Runbox' Values

Runbox has provided professional web services since 1999, backed by Redpill Linpro, Scandinavia's l

Runbox gives you personal support via email and live chat 7 days a week, all year long. With our extensive experiece and in-depth knowledge of the workings of email systems we can help you with any email related question.

Runbox is entirely neutral and clean, while other services put more and more effort into tuning their ad offerings. That is how they make money.

Runbox protects your privacy

Runbox is located in Norway and therefore regulated by strong privacy legislation that protects your data. We enfore a strict Privacy Policy that ensures no one else but you can access your email.

In fact, Norway is a pioneer in this area, and was in 1980 the very first country establishing an independent administrative body to enforce the personal data legislation from 1978. You may read more about this at www.datatilsynet.no (The Data Inspectorate). Norway also enforces strict legislation for consumer rights.

Runbox protects your personal information

Runbox will never use the contents of your messages or other personal data in any other context. Some of the other companies will, if you read their terms and conditions carefully, reserve the right to use, reproduce, and publish content you send through their services.
steventay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2010, 11:19 AM   #71
William9
The "e" in e-mail

"No one else but you can access your email". What about a police investigation or a Subpoena? Don't companies have to comply with this type of request to access one 's messages?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2010, 02:03 AM   #72
NickRem

Quote:
Originally Posted by steventay View Post
good luck since Opera take over fastmail so it will be like google mail....
In what way?
NickRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2010, 08:19 AM   #73
yitzhaq

Representative of:
Opera.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by steventay View Post
so will fastmail lose to runbox ? Since Opera take over...
If you take a look at the Runbox Team page (Friends section) you will see Opera and Runbox are not that far apart - quite literally!
yitzhaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2010, 02:17 AM   #74
Shelded

Ugh, I hope that doesn't mean Fastmail will be stripped of what Opera needs and then the remainders tossed to Runbox for dessert.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote