EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Oct 2013, 06:27 PM   #1
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor

New mobile interface

I just started playing with FM's new mobile web interface on my Samsung S3 (ironically enough, using the Opera browser ). For those who like the "new" web interface, this is pretty similar. Very nicely done. I can almost see this replacing K-9, the only issue I can see after playing with it for about 10 minutes being notification of new emails when not in the web browser. But features like searching, or the Fastmail address book are going to be useful.

http://blog.fastmail.fm/2013/10/21/f...web-interface/
nighthawk700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Oct 2013, 07:17 PM   #2
SteveMetro

The new UI is awesome! Great work FM.
SteveMetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2013, 09:33 PM   #3
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Agreed, well done, FM! Just tried out the new interface on my iPhone -- seems to work great so far. Tempted to switch from the native iPhone client to this new webmail interface. It even has the notes interface in there.

Well thought out! Keep up the good work, FM!

The only (minor) problem I have on the iPhone is that it's hard to tell (by the font choices) which emails are NEW vs already read (besides the little blue star thing).

Perhaps add a background shading to new emails? I need some other visual cue that emails are new. My eyes are not as great as they were, I guess.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2013, 10:15 PM   #4
andrej

I guess it's all right, no big changes but it still has some unresolved issues:

1. The web interface is still confusing in terms of remembering the routes to each of my settings and filter rules and still takes a lot of clicks.

2. When viewing a message, the options for "Show details" and collapsing a message (clicking on the email title) are right on top of each other and misclicking is too frequent. (How do I set every message to show details *by default*?)

3. In the mobile interface, when viewing a message, there's no option for me to delete it. I have to go out to view all of my messages in the folder, highlight the one that I want (which is tricky since all of the message titles are bold so I mistakenly think they are all unread - see point by user "ioneja"), and then delete.
andrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2013, 01:04 AM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMetro View Post
The new UI is awesome! Great work FM.
And a nice makeover of Notes (including rich text editor). When will this happen to Files?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2013, 07:41 AM   #6
EricG
Essential Contributor

This should be enabled in the default browser on major mobile platforms. I only get classic on Android ICS. I have to enable desktop site to enable the interface checkbox.

My HTC 1V phone gets Chinese icons. Android language settings offer english/french/chinese and the first is selected. Too many things (buttons) were missing to do anything useful.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrej View Post
In the mobile interface, when viewing a message, there's no option for me to delete it. I have to go out to view all of my messages in the folder, highlight the one that I want (which is tricky since all of the message titles are bold so I mistakenly think they are all unread - see point by user "ioneja"), and then delete.
When you're viewing the message, tap in any open space in the message and it will open a menu bar to allow you to delete, mark as spam, archive, or otherwise file the message.

Also, when you're viewing the message list, you don't need to highlight a message to delete it. Just swipe left to delete. Swipe right to archive.

Paul
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2013, 10:30 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Adding tweaks.js for HTML editor in Files screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
And a nice makeover of Notes (including rich text editor). When will this happen to Files?
If you have a tweaks.js javascript tweaks file in the {My Files}/custom-ui/js folder and have activated Custom styles in your Advanced Account Preferences, add the following to the tweaks.js file:
Code:
/* Rich Text editor in Files details screen -- Bill n5bb 2009.10.19  */
window.addEvent('domready', function() {
    var detailsEditor = $$('textarea[name=FFP-Contents]')[0];
    if(detailsEditor && $$('option[selected]')[0].value == "text/html")
    {
        detailsEditor.set('id','FFP-Contents');
        new Asset.javascript('https://www.fastmail.fm/3pp/fck-latest/fckeditor.js');
        setTimeout(function() {
            var oFCKeditor = new FCKeditor('FFP-Contents') ;
            oFCKeditor.BasePath = "/3pp/fck-latest/";
            oFCKeditor.Height   = document.documentElement.clientHeight-20; 
/* Set the height to the initial window size - 20 for the scrollbar */
            oFCKeditor.ReplaceTextarea();
        }, 200);
    }
});
After making those changes, if you click the (details) link on a file with type text/html, the HTML toolbar will appear and you can edit that HTML file. You can also use the Source toggle to move back and forth between raw HTML editing and webpage appearance editing modes. For some reason, recently the HTML toolbar only appears for me the second time I click the (details) link, so if you only see raw HTML try clicking Return to files and try clicking the (details) link again. I wish this was default behavior and didn't require the tweaks.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
If you have a tweaks.js javascript tweaks file in the {My Files}/custom-ui/js folder and have activated Custom styles in your Advanced Account Preferences, add the following to the tweaks.js file:.......
Thank you Bill, but honestly said I was referring to the 'makeover' of Files.
But you triggered me to another question: Is it possible to add this Rich Editor to the Notes screen in the Classic interface?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2013, 08:25 PM   #10
gardenweed

I find in this interface that when I forward certain emails, they are forwarded in plain text and html is lost.
Only happens for some forwarded emails.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2013, 01:02 AM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenweed View Post
I find in this interface that when I forward certain emails, they are forwarded in plain text and html is lost.
Only happens for some forwarded emails.
I think you will need to examine the full raw message content to see what is happening. It's possible that the original message was poorly formed. Are you using automatic forwarding (alias targeting or message rules) or manually using the forward Compose screen?

Bill
Old 23 Oct 2013, 01:09 AM   #12
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Thank you Bill, but honestly said I was referring to the 'makeover' of Files.
But you triggered me to another question: Is it possible to add this Rich Editor to the Notes screen in the Classic interface?
Yes, this tweak also works in the Classic interface.

Bill
Old 23 Oct 2013, 07:15 AM   #13
gardenweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I think you will need to examine the full raw message content to see what is happening. It's possible that the original message was poorly formed. Are you using automatic forwarding (alias targeting or message rules) or manually using the forward Compose screen?

Bill
Bill - thanks for your interest.
I'm using the manual forward Compose screen.
So in the open email, I am hitting the "Forward" button at the bottom of the email body.
(Note that the conversion to plain text only seems to happen if I use the mobile interface.)

Quote:
It's possible that the original message was poorly formed.
The emails that exhibit this behaviour are auto-generated by a document control program called TeamBinder.
The email is a transmittal record with links to download documents that have been sent under the cover of this transmittal.
What would I be looking for in the raw email message that might cause this?
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2013, 07:41 AM   #14
EricG
Essential Contributor

Further comments on my HTC phone problems, which don't show up on an ICS tablet. The chinese icon is now gone.
There is no menu in either list or message view. I cannot do anything after selecting messages. The tap in message to bring up a menu is not acceptable. The only reason I know of swiping is I got the blog post emailed.

This is a cheap phone with only 512MB RAM, but gmail is responsive and fastmail is sluggish. Gmail is easy to figure out, but the app is even better and uses less data.
Old 23 Oct 2013, 08:10 AM   #15
EricG
Essential Contributor

There should be an official bugs thread, I don't know if it would go here or in feature reqs.

My other device is a 7" ICS tablet. As with my phone I have the stock browser and ICS+ enhanced, so I tested both with two browsers. Performance is fine. The only bug I noticed is folders with lots of messages blank out when scrolling down. Scrolling back and forth does not fix it.