EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 18 Sep 2014, 03:11 PM   #1
kolportazh

Help Deciding on Which mail service

Hey guys.

I've decided to move from free mail services to premium mail, so i've been looking into some options, and most notable seem to be Runbox and Fastmail.

So, i like FM's webmail, looks really nice and feature rich. RB's looks a little 'old', but also seems feature full and one to get the job done.

Now, they both offer competitive prices, but what attracts me is:

FM: great looking webmail (seems fast too), okay price for what it's offering.
FM-: US servers (I'm in Europe), and the whole privacy issue.

RB: Hydropower, Norway + It's also relatively near me (compared to US solutions), quick support
RB-: Don't know how big & reliable the company actually is.

So i have a couple of additional questions: How big are the companies compared in size (number of customers etc.) as i see they have both been around for a long time now. Wouldn't like the company disappearing anytime soon.

+ For runbox, do you usually use a desktop mail client or do you use the webmail?

Thanks guys. If anyone of you was in a same dillemma, please do write what made you change your mind and choose a specific vendor. According to the forums, both services seem to have loyal customers who have been around for a long time also.
kolportazh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Sep 2014, 10:26 PM   #2
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

Hello there,

I've been using Runbox for over a year now. I've never used FastMail as my main e-mail provider, I've, however, done several free trials with FastMail and I'm still indecisive if I should ditch Runbox and get FastMail. So ya, give my opinion the weight you think it deserves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros and Cons of each:

Fastmail Pros:

- Absolutely awesome webmail client. The fastest I've ever tried, really feature rich.

- Supports a good number of Two-Factor-Authentication options

- Their development team seems to be pretty active and knowledgeable (webmail updates, etc.. For example, they recently added calendar to their webmail)

Fastmail Cons:

- It's an Australian company with servers in the US. No matter how many times they tell us that no info about an individual will be given without the appropriate Australian documentation (warrant signed by a AUS judge), I just don't believe them. They claim to be outside US law, I don't trust it. USA has proven, time and time again, that they don't give a /#/")(#&$"%#%&" about the law.

- Bad support. There are several incidents of accounts wrongfully closed that remained closed for more than a day (!) and after that they didn't even apologize, just gave some half-assed excuse. I'll try to edit this post with a few examples, but just do a search both in google and on this forum and you'll find it.

Runbox Pros:

- Based in Norway. See this link . In addition to privacy reasons, I also love Norway as a country and Norwegians seem to be great people!

- Great support. Runbox' support is really good. I normally get an answer in less than 1h (I actually get answers way faster than 1h. It took them 5mins to answer my latest email, though it was a simple one) after sending the e-mail. I think their support is starting to hate us though, for asking them to hurry up with the 2FA. Which brings me to the cons.

Runbox Cons:

- Bad webmail client. There are a few things that, when I first joined were clearly "bugs" and after a while became "features" (well, not bugs, not sure if they define it as features, but they're no longer bugs.). I'm talking about the browser's back button not functioning properly when in the web-mail client. Also, while it's not slow slow, it's definitely not a fast webmail. You also "get what you see", in the way that in the preferences there are not many options to change the way it works/looks. It could support tabs, compose in new tab or same page or new page, etc. You cannot change any of that, you get what you see!

- No 2FA. Runbox, in my opinion, cannot claim to be "secure" until they support Two-Factor-Authentication (2FA), which they don't. They've said, in the past, that we'd get it in 2014 but it's not coming this year.. Will it finally come next year? None knows, but if they say it will... it won't mean much.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think of Fastmail as good programmers (good webmail client, 2FA, etc) but bad support(ers?) (blocked accounts, etc) and of Runbox as good support(ers?) (fast support) but bad programmers (bad webmail client, no 2FA).

About the size of the companies:

I think Fastmail has more clients than Runbox (I'm basing this on the fact that there's so much more information about fastmail on the internet..). Having said that, I don't think Runbox will close anytime soon (they're my only provider!). They've been around (runbox) since 1999 AFAIK, and I bet they've been gaining clientele each year.

PS: I'll try to edit this post later on to fix some grammar and wording. I believe there are places in which the wording makes it confusing to understand what I really mean but give me a break, English is not my main language!

EDIT1: Edited the time it takes for Runbox to answer support mails. I had 2-3h but it's definitely less than 1h. I contacted them today and they answered in less than 5mins.

Last edited by 17pm : 28 Sep 2014 at 12:14 AM.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2014, 10:38 PM   #3
mf1941
Essential Contributor

Check out this outfit: https://mailbox.org/

They offer 30 day trial with no credit card, OX web interface with all the options.
Based in Berlin. Have been around a long time.

I recently switched to them, Around $16/yr U.S. 2G mailbox + storage

Site & Webmail translates easily to English, Support is very good.
mf1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2014, 12:25 AM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf1941 View Post

They offer 30 day trial with no credit card, OX web interface with all the options.

Looks good. Like the OX interface.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2014, 12:33 AM   #5
17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf1941 View Post

Only offers Yubikey (and an expensive one at that) as a 2FA method and has no plans to upgrade.

They also have a very very low number of aliases for those 16usd, even if you use your own domain.

I don't see Mailbox.org as a good alternative.
Old 21 Sep 2014, 07:34 PM   #6
17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolportazh View Post
Thanks guys. If anyone of you was in a same dillemma, please do write what made you change your mind and choose a specific vendor. According to the forums, both services seem to have loyal customers who have been around for a long time also.
Have you made your decision yet? I'd be interested in knowing what you ended up deciding, and why.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 12:53 AM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

I have been using Runbox for a little over two years and am very pleased with them; prior to that I used Fastmail for about ten.

Rather than 'nit-picking' I will say that these are both very good companies. I recommend to do a trial with both and choose which suits you best.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2014, 06:25 AM   #8
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I've used both FM and RB for years (as well as several others). 17pm's 9/18 summary cuts to the chase and summarizes differences nicely. Some statements are possibly a little bit exaggerated -- but very expressive of the differences in company cultures and products.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2014, 10:17 AM   #9
Gankaku

I've been using Fastmail for years and very happy with it. Never any large issue for me, and with the small personal issues there's always been good support.

I have tried Runbox trials several times, but I prefer the Fastmail service. Runbox has been around for a long time as well, and their service is also represented on these forums.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Suggestion - trial both of them and see which you prefer and test them both for your needs.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote