EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 29 Apr 2015, 05:15 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Recommendations for "eternal" email?

I've tried a bunch of free emails, but I have to say that the one that suits me best, despite its flaws, has been Hotmail. However, I'm disgusted at the way they're weaseling more identifying information from you, demanding an alternative email or a telephone.

Well, I've created alternative emails, but that triggered problems of its own. For instance, when I was at a "strange" location, unknown to Hotmail, they demanded confirmation from my alternative. But for some reason, my alternative, GMX, wasn't accessible. Really annoying.

My question is: One thing I've liked about Hotmail is that whatever expiration it may have in terms of requiring a log-in, it's very extended. In fact, I don't even know what it is. Do you have any favorites among the free emails of options that don't require logging in every few months?
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Apr 2015, 12:08 PM   #2
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Safe-Mail : inactivity limit 6 months
Gmail : inactivity limit 9 months
Outlook/Hotmail : to my knowledge this is now 12 months but I don't dare to be sure
EUMX guest accounts available to forum members: when I last checked also 12 months

I know Wikipedia has a "comparison of free webmail providers" including inactivity limits. This list is however incomplete obviously, and as well there is Always the question whether you trust info from Wikipedia without doublechecking elsewhere.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2015, 11:54 PM   #3
zdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
whether you trust info from Wikipedia without doublechecking elsewhere
The easiest thing in wikipedia is to check the sources of the info: just follow the links. The mentioned page seemed quite outdated the last time I checked but maybe wikipedia volunteers have done their magic since then.
zdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2015, 02:34 AM   #4
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

It's really stupid for Gmail to have both an inactivity limit and a policy to never reuse usernames. If the user is dead or just doesn't care to use the account let it lapse.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2015, 03:41 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
It's really stupid for Gmail to have both an inactivity limit and a policy to never reuse usernames. If the user is dead or just doesn't care to use the account let it lapse.
Remember that Gmail is not an independent email service which generates revenue from user subscriptions. It is part of Google, which generated US $66 Billion in 2014, mainly from advertising. http://www.minterest.org/how-does-google-make-money/

Google has a large interest in getting you to log into their services (Gmail, YouTube, Google search, etc.). If you create a Gmail account and then don't use it regularly, Google can't generate any advertising revenue from your account and it's a drain on their finances. Keeping those large Google servers and Internet infrastructure running is expensive! They also need you to use the same account name so they can track you for their advertising clients.
  • So Gmail closes inactive accounts to reduce system resources.
  • Google doesn't want to re-issue usernames, since this might intermingle different person's activity tracking for advertising use. So if you stop using an account and they flag it as inactive, they can't allow others to use it. Advertisers pay large amounts to Google for tracking your activities, not some mixture of you and a previous owner of an account.
  • Remember that there isn't a separate Gmail email address. It's your Google username, which is used for tracking you in all of their subsidiary services (such as Google search and YouTube).
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2015, 04:02 AM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
It's your Google username, which is used for tracking you in all of their subsidiary services (such as Google search and YouTube).
Only if you choose to use Google and YouTube while logged in to your Google account.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2015, 04:18 AM   #7
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
... For instance, when I was at a "strange" location, unknown to Hotmail, they demanded confirmation from my alternative...
Another alternative is the get a VPN account. That will allow you to change your IP and location to one that is familiar to Hotmail.
I use it often when I travel so my banks and credit companies think I am in the US.
VPN also provides more privacy and security as your connection is encrypted all the way to your destination site.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2016, 12:19 AM   #8
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
I've tried a bunch of free emails, but I have to say that the one that suits me best, despite its flaws, has been Hotmail. However, I'm disgusted at the way they're weaseling more identifying information from you, demanding an alternative email or a telephone.

For instance, when I was at a "strange" location, unknown to Hotmail, they demanded confirmation from my alternative.

My question is: One thing I've liked about Hotmail is that whatever expiration it may have in terms of requiring a log-in, it's very extended. In fact, I don't even know what it is. Do you have any favorites among the free emails of options that don't require logging in every few months?
Protonmail, Tutanota & Yandex would suit your needs. They aren't forever asking for more information and don't require you to keep logging in. AFAIK, they aren't bothered when you log into your account from a different location.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2016, 12:31 AM   #9
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Yandex would suit your needs. They [....] don't require you to keep logging in.
Really???
From Yandex ToS: https://yandex.com/legal/rules/
Quote:
2.9.1. A mailbox at Yandex.Mail is deleted if the User does not use it for over 24 months.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2016, 12:33 AM   #10
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
VPN also provides more privacy and security as your connection is encrypted all the way to your destination site.
VPN encrypted from your origin (client) to the VPN gateway (server).
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2016, 09:26 AM   #11
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
Another alternative is the get a VPN account. That will allow you to change your IP and location to one that is familiar to Hotmail.
I use it often when I travel so my banks and credit companies think I am in the US.
Opera has just released their free VPN for Android. Includes a Wi-Fi security test tool. Available for iOS too.

Unlimited data, 5 gateways: USA, Canada, Germany, Singapore, The Netherlands.
Provisioned by SurfEasy, see link below for detail on privacy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.opera.vpn

https://www.surfeasy.com/blog/get-vp...yone-gets-vpn/
https://www.opera.com/blogs/news/201...n-for-android/

Easy to setup! Effortless, really. Displays a VPN indicator in the status bar when active.

Last edited by pjwalsh : 24 Aug 2016 at 10:18 AM. Reason: SurfEasy link
Old 24 Aug 2016, 04:43 PM   #12
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Protonmail, Tutanota & Yandex would suit your needs. They aren't forever asking for more information and don't require you to keep logging in. AFAIK, they aren't bothered when you log into your account from a different location.
I would like to add the free mail service of MAIL.RU to that. Gmail realy is a pain when you are in a different location or use a VPN:-(

Also a great one would be AOL..!!! That is if you can handle the fact that their email service NOT is very good IMHO. AOL seems to be forever!! Even after you do not log in for 3 years the account is still active. Allthough they might delete your emails:-(

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2016, 05:49 PM   #13
jl66
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwalsh View Post
Opera has just released their free VPN for Android. Includes a Wi-Fi security test tool. Available for iOS too.

Unlimited data, 5 gateways: USA, Canada, Germany, Singapore, The Netherlands.
Provisioned by SurfEasy, see link below for detail on privacy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.opera.vpn

https://www.surfeasy.com/blog/get-vp...yone-gets-vpn/
https://www.opera.com/blogs/news/201...n-for-android/

Easy to setup! Effortless, really. Displays a VPN indicator in the status bar when active.
I wouldn't trust very much in this VPN, and more now that China bought it.
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2016, 02:47 AM   #14
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl66 View Post
I wouldn't trust very much in this VPN, and more now that [Chinese investors] bought [Opera].
For people looking for security at public WiFi hot-spots, to cloak their IP address or to access otherwise blocked services, Opera VPN is perfectly satisfactory, free to use and easy to setup.

For those needing security against nation-state actors much more than a public VPN service would be required.

The Opera VPN is provisioned by SurfEasy, a Canadian company with some very credible endorsements.

Last edited by pjwalsh : 27 Aug 2016 at 05:08 AM.
Old 25 Aug 2016, 05:27 AM   #15
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwalsh View Post
For people looking for security when using public WiFi hot-spots or to access otherwise blocked services, Opera VPN is perfectly adequate, free, and simple to use.

For those needing security against nation-state actors much more than a public VPN service would be required.

The Opera VPN is provisioned by SurfEasy, a Canadian company with very credible endorsements.
Can you use the Opera VPN as a downloader?? Right now I am using a commercial VPN service because I downlaod a lot with bittorrents. Movies mainly.

TIA

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote