EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 25 Jun 2013, 01:13 AM   #16
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Lightbulb Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
I can only apologise for all the great posts that were lost in the last 10 days.
Who has the daily digests from the last 10 days? Maybe we can put it one (ore more) thread(s): "The lost posts 12 june - 22 june 2013".
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2013, 01:56 AM   #17
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Who has the daily digests from the last 10 days? Maybe we can put it one (ore more) thread(s): "The lost posts 12 june - 22 june 2013".
Sorry to be dense, but I was unaware that daily digests were available. I do subscribe to various threads and I do receive notification of new posts in those threads, but under 'edit options' I don't see anything I can check to receive a complete daily digest of all new posts. Am I missing something?
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2013, 02:07 AM   #18
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

User CP, Edit Options, then select Daily (or Weekly) Notifications in Messaging & Notification.
Sure, you still have to subscribe to forums of interest to you.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2013, 06:41 PM   #19
Edwin
 Administrator 

I'm not sure that's a good idea, because it would prevent the original authors from editing their posts.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2013, 07:13 PM   #20
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Monday 24 June am (GMT): site unusually slow.
At this time of writing: slow, slow slow! The new servers have been up to now no improvement.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 12:52 AM   #21
ReuvenNY

Was the site off for a few hours or is it my imagination?
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2013, 01:37 AM   #22
Edwin
 Administrator 

Not your imagination, it is on a new new server. The previous fix didn't cut it. May be a little DNS weirdness for a few hours until the update finishes propagating, but fingers crossed it's third time lucky...

BTW, hopefully you'll really notice the difference in loading times, as well as reliability.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 02:04 AM   #23
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
hopefully you'll really notice the difference in loading times
So far so (very) good
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2013, 02:18 AM   #24
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Not your imagination, it is on a new new server. The previous fix didn't cut it. May be a little DNS weirdness for a few hours until the update finishes propagating, but fingers crossed it's third time lucky...

BTW, hopefully you'll really notice the difference in loading times, as well as reliability.
Does that explain why EMD was down again this morning for at least an hour? I don't know when it began, but I noticed the site was down at 1008 UTC, and when I checked again forty-minutes later it was still down. I confirmed this with isup.me and the site was definitely down, possibly for more than an hour. The same thing happened to me day before yesterday (Sunday). I might be tempted to think it was some sort of problem at my end except for the confirmation by isup.me which rules that out. I'm glad to know it was the new server. Let's hope things will now be stable.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2013, 03:21 AM   #25
Edwin
 Administrator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
Does that explain why EMD was down again this morning for at least an hour? I don't know when it began, but I noticed the site was down at 1008 UTC, and when I checked again forty-minutes later it was still down. I confirmed this with isup.me and the site was definitely down, possibly for more than an hour. The same thing happened to me day before yesterday (Sunday). I might be tempted to think it was some sort of problem at my end except for the confirmation by isup.me which rules that out. I'm glad to know it was the new server. Let's hope things will now be stable.
Yes, it was the "old new" server.

The new new server should be a lot better (though the danger in saying that is of course that the inevitable will probably happen...)
Old 26 Jun 2013, 07:07 AM   #26
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Edwin, Thanks for keeping this site alive.

It's one of my favorite sites and I sure miss it when there are issues.

I almost thought it was me the other day, when every time I had a post ready to submit, the site would go down. That happened about three times. I thought I was being black balled.

Thankfully it wasn't something I said.

Thanks again Edwin........
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2013, 11:21 AM   #27
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
I'm not sure that's a good idea, because it would prevent the original authors from editing their posts.
No and I dislike sites that only allow 15 mins for example to edit your message! (Especially on a site that no one has abused editing features)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2013, 04:58 AM   #28
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Can anyone explain why I have been getting continual problems, on and off, over the past few days - presumably as a result of change of servers?

I've tried different browsers on different pc's, cleared cookies/cache, etc.

But keep on seeing this darn board closed for maintenance page.

And at the same time, I'm getting e-mail messages about replies to subscribed threads.

Obviously working for some, but not for me.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2013, 06:03 AM   #29
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

I was getting that "board closed for maintenance" page for awhile earlier today as well. Although the message said it should reopen "within a few minutes", I was only able to reach that "maintenance" page for at least an hour or two, possibly longer. Just now is the first time I've been able to reach the forum today, although at least a couple of hours have passed since the last time I tried.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2013, 06:59 AM   #30
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Yes, please tell us Edwin, what's going on all the time.