EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 14 Dec 2022, 05:46 AM   #1
artman

Thunderbird and Gmail question - double drafts and sent folders

I am using Thunderbird 102.5.0 64 bit on a Windows 10 machine.
Please see the screenshot from Thunderbird in this link https://postimg.cc/68qZGDPL

At the top of the "list" is where my gmail address is. Please notice that my Inbox with one new message there is a Drafts and Sent folder. Looking further down is a Gmail folder with several folders not shown. Under the Gmail folder is Drafts and Sent Mail folder. Several other folders of which I believe Gmail refers to as Labels.

My question is why are their two Drafts folders and two Sent folders shown under the Inbox and under the Gmail folder?

Usually there are maybe 10 messages in the Sent folder under the Inbox with "all" of the sent messages in the Sent Mail folder under "Gmail".

I hope I have explained my question well. Thanks very much, Bill
artman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Dec 2022, 09:47 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The Gmail implementation of IMAP is "interesting" . I believe that Gmail was originally web-only, then later they added support for IMAP email clients. My Gmail folders on Thunderbird looked similar to yours before I fixed them as follows:
  • The folders under [Gmail] are essentially labels. I think that the Sent top-level folder is showing very old sent messages, and the Sent Mail is what you should be viewing.
  • In Thunderbird, right-click the top-level folder showing your email address (which you show as "my_email@gmail.com") and select Subscribe... and check the folders you wish to appear in Thunderbird. I suggest subscribing to INBOX and all folders (actually labels) under [Gmail], and unsubscribing to all other folders. Then click OK.
  • Now the Thunderbird folders should appear similar to the Gmail webmail setup, except that the folder order may be different.
  • Some things may only get updated when you close then restart Thunderbird.
Gmail help has some additional suggested Thunderbird settings shown at:
https://support.google.com/mail/answ...%2Cthunderbird

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2022, 01:57 AM   #3
artman

Bill;

Thanks very much for the information on the Thunderbird - Gmail settings. I have made the changes you recommended and everything is good now.

Hope you and your family have a happy holiday season!

Bill
artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2022, 02:52 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

You are most welcome, Bill. Before I retired 3 years ago, I met with customers in Lenexa and other parts of the Kansas City metro area several times a year. I also wish you and your family a happy holiday season!

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote