EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 26 Apr 2024, 11:20 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

There's a Better Way To Do Email

Happy 20th Anniversary, Gmail. I’m Sorry I’m Leaving You.
There's a Better Way To Do Email

By Ezra Klein

There is no end of theories for why the internet feels so crummy these days. The New Yorker blames the shift to algorithmic feeds. Wired blames a cycle in which companies cease serving their users and begin monetizing them. The M.I.T. Technology Review blames ad-based business models. The Verge blames search engines. I agree with all these arguments. But here’s another: Our digital lives have become one shame closet after another.

A shame closet is that spot in your home where you cram the stuff that has nowhere else to go. It doesn’t have to be a closet. It can be a garage or a room or a chest of drawers or all of them at once. Whatever the space, it is defined by the absence of choices about what goes into it. There are things you need in there. There are things you will never need in there. But as the shame closet grows, the task of excavation or organization becomes too daunting to contemplate.

The shame closet era of the internet had a beginning. It was 20 years ago that Google unveiled Gmail. If you were not an internet user back then, it is hard to describe the astonishment that greeted Google’s announcement. Inboxes routinely topped out at 15 megabytes. Google was offering a free gigabyte, dozens and dozens of times more. Everyone wanted in. But you had to be invited. I remember jockeying for one of those early invites. I remember the thrill of finding one. I felt lucky. I felt chosen.

A few months ago, I euthanized that Gmail account. I have more than a million unread messages in my inbox...

A few months ago, I vowed to take back control of my digital life. I began with my email. I subscribed to Hey, an email service that takes a very different view of how email should work. Gmail and virtually all of its competitors assume anyone should be able to email you and then you should store and sort and search and categorize those messages. Hey assumes that only the people you want email from should be able to email you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/07/o...tal-shame.html
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Apr 2024, 07:16 PM   #2
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

What he describes is switching from a service that's based on some assumption that doesn't work as perfectly as was promised 20 years ago to a service that's based on a false assumption that people can decide, based on the first message received, that they;ll never need to receive another message from the same sender, or that on day 1 one can decide on future relationships.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2024, 07:40 PM   #3
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Interesting. Hey has been discussed on the forum before. I remember when I got my first Gmail account. I thought the ridiculous amount of space was simply mind boggling. I would never need that amount of space (POP3 user speaking). I still use my Gmail account, I still don't need all that space. A get a handful of messages a day in Gmail. I nothing stored, I don't use the calendar or any other feature. Most of my emails come from other providers.

Hey sounds interesting I still hold the same opinion of Hey as I did a few years ago. Not for me. I watched the short intro video on the Hey web site, has a lot of nice features. I can accomplish most the email features using filters in my email client. I prefer an email client, Hey is web based. I suppose if I got a lot of emails and used web based email, I might give it a go.

If anyone wants to read the NYT article not behind a paywall you can read it here.
https://archive.md/2sy1t
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2024, 08:34 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

I suspect Ezra Klein gets tons of email compared to most of us. For my own part I hate automatic filtering of any sort, even if I set it up, because inevitably every single day something gets miscategorized. It takes longer searching through various tabs and folders than it does just to scan my email Inbox using my own brain to read, trash, star, or archive messages. I do this at random moments throughout the day and I find it just fills up otherwise wasted time nicely. The result is often Inbox Zero for me. OTOH, when I worked for an email marketing company I used to get 600 messages a day some days, meaning it was nearly a fulltime job just taking care of my email. Klein probably gets loads of messages like that.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2024, 10:52 PM   #5
CyberSmurf

I miss a lot of the features of the Eudora email client.
One of the features was that you could filter your email using lists in your address book.

I really liked being able to filter based on hidden headers.

One of the things that I don't like about GMail filters is that you cannot order your filters and add a stop processing. All filters are processed which means a lot of filters have to be duplicated with a long list of inclusions and exceptions.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote