EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 8 Mar 2005, 11:52 AM   #1
NextGen

Runbox Notifier (Part 2)

I know I've asked this before, but I thought I'd ask again: Does Runbox plan on releasing a simple e-mail notifier for use in the Windows taskbar (much like how Google did for their Gmail service, as well how FuseMail did, too)? It doesn't seem like it'd be an enormously big project for any of the team members to take on (probably take a week or less to program), nor would it (probably) be too much to contract out as a job to a third party outside of the company. I'd think that this is one of these things that users really would like to have, but haven't put up much of a fuss about (yet). Thanks to whoever replies.

Last edited by NextGen : 8 Mar 2005 at 11:58 AM.
NextGen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Mar 2005, 04:00 PM   #2
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
I'd think that this is one of these things that users really would like to have, but haven't put up much of a fuss about (yet).
I totally disagree with you on this point. Allthough it might be a convenient tool, at the moment other things should have top priority (hardware issues, Runbox downtime).
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2005, 06:44 AM   #3
Rizlam

OK then. How about a "Runbox is down yet again" notifier? That'd help.
Rizlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2005, 09:13 AM   #4
NextGen

So far, 92 people have viewed this thread. It'd be safe to assume at least 80 views were unique ones. I'm willing to bet that nearly all of them would absolutely LOVE to have a Windows-based e-mail notifier meant specifically for Runbox, but haven't bothered to throw in their two cents ... How about it, folks? Would you like to have an e-mail notifier made by Runbox AS for Runbox e-mail accounts? Come on; voice your opinion here ...
Old 9 Mar 2005, 09:39 AM   #5
kreon

I would love to have it, and this is a great idea. However, as people said earlier the service should be stable first.
kreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2005, 09:56 AM   #6
jbs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by NextGen
So far, 92 people have viewed this thread. It'd be safe to assume at least 80 views were unique ones. I'm willing to bet that nearly all of them would absolutely LOVE to have a Windows-based e-mail notifier meant specifically for Runbox, but haven't bothered to throw in their two cents ... How about it, folks? Would you like to have an e-mail notifier made by Runbox AS for Runbox e-mail accounts? Come on; voice your opinion here ...
I'd have to disagree with your conclusion that because someone clicked on the thread they want whatever it is you're talking about. If you started a thread called, "Burning sensation when you urinate" I'd imagine a LOT of people would click on that, even though hardly any of them would be seeking to have a burning sensation when they urinate.

I'd have to vote with the others here, no time on features till the service is reliable. If it's not back up and running soon, I think a lot of us will reluctantly be going elsewhere, and a Runbox notifier won't help us there . . .

--Jason
jbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2005, 10:02 AM   #7
NextGen

Right. I'm one of these people (who're waiting to see what happens with Runbox before I do anything), but still, no reason why we can't plan on the side ...
Old 9 Mar 2005, 10:21 AM   #8
jackfrost

downtime and a notifier

If you want a notifier try http://www.poppeeper.com its free and never causes any hasles.
Regarding the downtime. I have been a client for a year or so and get 20 plus emails a day and only ever notice downtime occasionally.
A couple of years ago when I had no life i used to click on the refresh button every 5 minutes - back then I would have hated ANY downtime.
The lack of crap that I get with my Yahoo account (700 spam emails a day) makes the occaisonal downtime worth it.
My 2cents
Jack
jackfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2005, 10:25 AM   #9
NextGen

No. I'd like something that leads to my web browser and opens my webmail interface automatically, much like how Gmail's e-mail notifier works ... Anyone know of such a thing? If not, then Runbox will have to develop its own.

Last edited by NextGen : 9 Mar 2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:50 PM   #10
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by NextGen
No. I'd like something that leads to my web browser and opens my webmail interface automatically, much like how Gmail's e-mail notifier works ... Anyone know of such a thing? If not, then Runbox will have to develop its own.
I'm sure they've added it to the "wish list" but don't hold your breath because they've got other things that will probably be higher in priority.

Just curious ... exactly what would you want this "Runbox Notifier" to do? Details would be nice.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2005, 06:32 PM   #11
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by jbs I'd have to disagree with your conclusion that because someone clicked on the thread they want whatever it is you're talking about. If you started a thread called, "Burning sensation when you urinate" I'd imagine a LOT of people would click on that, even though hardly any of them would be seeking to have a burning sensation when they urinate.
--Jason
That's a metafore I haven't heard before...LoL! Pinpoint accurate
Quote:
Originally posted by Rizlam OK then. How about a "Runbox is down yet again" notifier? That'd help.
*Sigh*..no, that wouldn't help. [SARCASM]If it makes you happy: there already is such a tool. Login to http://www.runbox.com/mail to check whether it's available or not [/SARCASM]
Quote:
Originally posted by NextGen Right. I'm one of these people (who're waiting to see what happens with Runbox before I do anything), but still, no reason why we can't plan on the side ...
Nobody stops you from building it yourself. You can plan on the side whatever you want, but I think Runbox should allocate their resources to the problems of late. By the way: is there a reason why Runbox should release such a tool?

- Marc
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote