EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 2 Sep 2002, 01:35 AM   #1
polo

Question Why is my CRT screen "dusty"? / Cleaning

I use a VDU PVC dustcover when it's not in use and there's no smoking or dusty environment. It's few months old. Should I clean the inside of the dustcover which touches the screen frequently? Wipe with a damp cloth or what? Or it's normal for it to attract dust? I thought screens come with anti-static or something? What's the best way to clean a screen? Glasses cloth?

Last edited by polo : 2 Sep 2002 at 01:38 AM.
polo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Sep 2002, 01:41 AM   #2
Heartz
Essential Contributor

This is what I use.... it's my mom's formula and it works really well.

Ordinary monitor cleaner wiped with a newspaper. I crumple a piece of news paper, put some monitor cleaner on and wipe. Works really nicely.... doesn't leave a mark at all, unlike some cloths.
Heartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2002, 02:47 AM   #3
Gankaku

I use those 3M microfiber cloths. They work great for eyeglasses, computer monitors, glass, regular dusting, everything.

*Note: If you use one for your eyeglasses, you should use it exclusively for your eyeglasses.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2002, 03:02 AM   #4
polo

Newspaper?

I've heard it's good for car and house windows but somehow can't see why. Your hands are always black after reading a newspaper - doesn't all the black ink stay on the screen/glass?
polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2002, 03:11 AM   #5
Heartz
Essential Contributor

Nope, never had the ink problems before. Maybe you should buy a newspaper with better quality paper

I think it's got something to do with static electricity, but I really don't have any idea really. It works, so I jsut do it.
Heartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2002, 06:47 AM   #6
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Smile

Dear polo,

It's normal for most plastics, including PVC (vinyl) to generate some static electricity. In addition, remember that the tube in your monitor works by zapping phosphors (pixels) with an electron beam. A certain amount of static electricity on the outside of the screen is not a concern. If you get zapped when you touch the monitor, something may be seriously wrong. As for cleaning, as long as you don't spray liquid directly onto the screen, you should be fine. I spray ordinary window cleaner onto a cloth and then wipe the screen. This is in line with what most manufacturers recommend. And I don't do even that very often, usually when our daughter has gotten fingerprints on the screen.

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2002, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Gankaku
I use those 3M microfiber cloths. They work great for eyeglasses, computer monitors, glass, regular dusting, everything.
Yes! Those 3M cloths are great. I especially like using them to clean my hi-fi components. I really should bring some in to the office to clean my computer screens but, for now, Windex and Bounty paper towels will do quite nicely.
Old 5 Aug 2021, 05:48 PM   #8
Bamb0
Master of the @

My CRT TV sometimes gets dusty so I clean it with a moist paper towel.....

My monitor for my computer doesnt seem to get dusty very often. (Its also CRT)

I muchly prefer CRTs
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote