EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 28 Jun 2014, 06:05 AM   #1
FastOlaf

Advice on email when travelling

We use Outlook in our office, but the emails go directly local machine files and while stored on a server, we work with local pst files. For years, I've created directories and subdirectories and moved files between them. Now I'm starting to travel and taking emails with me and synching is a hassle. Any good ideas on a method or email client that would make this easier?

Here's my convoluted method.
1 - Copy pst from desktop to whatever laptop I'll be traveling with. This pst is used really only for reference.
2 - Create a profile on the laptop and allow ALL of my email to be downloaded to that profile.
3 - Delete all the email that was just downloaded. This pst file will now be my email while travelling.
4 - Travel and work and email
5 - Return to office.
6 - Copy my working pst to my desktop.
7 - Remove both psts from the laptop.
8 - Copy sent emails from my travel pst to my desktop pst
9 - Arrange all emails from desktop pst into proper folders.

yeessh
FastOlaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Jun 2014, 01:37 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Welcome to the EMD Forums!

What connection are you using between Outlook and the email server to read messages? From your description I doubt it's an Exchange server, and might be POP.

If you use IMAP and save your messages on the server you can read them using webmail or the Outlook email client (from most email providers).

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2014, 11:18 PM   #3
FastOlaf

Correct that this is not on Exchange and we make a POP connection to get emails into local Outlook pst.

If there is a way, maybe the best solution is use a client that makes the mail file more portable. I would guess this would have to be a web client. Any recommendations on the most feature rich web client? Organizing files into folders and searching are the most common activities for me. Being able to import a pst would be a huge plus.

thanks
eric
FastOlaf is offline   Reply With Quote