EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 26 Dec 2011, 04:45 AM   #16
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Wikipedia lists 51(!) songs called Stay, though strangely enough neither the Hollies' song nor the Rush song is on the list. It's also not certain that these are all different versions.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2011, 04:13 PM   #17
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
The Rush one is not a single track as far as I know ; an album only track which never charted as a single CD/LP release, is less likely to make Wikipedia than a song released as a single that charted.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2011, 04:29 PM   #18
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Wikipedia can say whatever you want it to say, that's the nature of the beast - it's useful for reference but don't bet your life on the information therein.

I also note that Stay - Giant (Time To Burn) is not shown in that Wikipedia list.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2011, 08:34 AM   #19
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

The Needle and the Damage Done (Neil Young, Harvest)
Old 30 Jan 2012, 08:59 AM   #20
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Much of the Alan Parsons Project album Pyramid, especially "What Goes Up", "Can't Take It With You" and "Shadow of a Lonely Man". Quite a bit of Alan Parsons Project stuff actually, such as "I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You", "Breakdown" and "Day After Day (The Show Must Go On)", all from I, Robot.

Hudson/Ford's "Revelation" (b-side of "Floating in the Wind") would be a sad song, but the lyrics are somewhat nonsensical; if a spaceship which is supposed to be leaving the solar system passes the sun, it's going the wrong way; also, if said ship takes most of a human lifetime just to go one lousy AU, unless it's an arcology (as seen in some stories, including one episode of Star Trek: TOS) the occupants will never make it anywhere near out of the solar system (Earth to Saturn is nearly 20 AU).

There's also the aforementioned "Losing It" by Rush, "Too Old" by Andromeda, "Close Another Door" by the Bee Gees (from Massachusets), and "Good Company" by Queen (from A Night at the Opera). All of these are songs about growing old.
Old 6 Feb 2012, 07:15 PM   #21
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

"Puedes Contar Conmigo" and "Jueves", both by La Oreja de Van Gogh, are quite melancholic to downward sad in their lyrics (some comprehension of Spanish, or a good translator, are required here but if you indeed translate the lyrics correctly, these songs would classify as "sad" in my opinion)

As I said before, "74-75" by The Connells is very melancholic to slightly sad, I repeat this one as the previous post mentions growing old as a subject of melancholic songs. "74-75" for sure has to be mentioned in that category, as it deals with looking back to your youth with lots of good memories, but also knowing that time ticks away fast and that worryless days will not return.

Queen had a few sad songs too, "The Show Must Go On" and "Too Much Love Will Kill You" come into mind.
Old 8 Apr 2012, 06:55 AM   #22
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

The song swings between hope and tenderness and despair and mortality, the two ladies of the band's different styles (both vocally and personality-wise) being used perfectly against each other... "Stay" by Shakespears Sisters.

Now this is a well known one, but this live performance blew me away really. Marcella's vocal reach is incredible, and Siobhan Fahey's performance, both vocally and charisma-wise is superb.

I realise that there were tensions within the band, and Siobhan was struggling very heavily with depression too ... but such a shame this band didn't go on. I really like(d) them, still do after all those years. Not just "Stay", but their more poppy work was very good as well ("Goodbye Cruel World" as a highlight). I remember how I liked the "Hormonally yours" album back as a young teenager, but must say now --aged 30-- I still do.

Well, even within this topic a bit of good news can be welcome: Siobhan has stated recently in interviews the depressions that haunted her for decades have largely been overcome and that she's full of inspiration for new releases. A new album, with little promotion despite continueing to use the Shakespears Sister moniker, already saw the light of day and seems there's more to look forward to
Old 8 Oct 2012, 11:58 PM   #23
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

"The A Team" by Ed Sheeran. Very sad song about a homeless girl giving away her body and only money to drugs. The song is actually written to discuss this taboo-surrounded subject so the singer had very good intentions to perform this, he wrote it after a visit to a homeless shelter and wanted to bring the problem into the limelight. The video is equally sad as the song. That said, the song is without ever judging the girl he is singing about, which makes it just more beautiful: a song about a very sad subject, but without ever judging the girl he sings about, only singing about her human side.

Another one is "Like the Weather" by 10,000 Maniacs. This one is about clinical depression, of which I suffer myself. I have heard many songs about this subject, many of them containing loads of cliches. This lyric sent shivers down my spine, I rarely heard the feeling of depression put into words so well. It felt like looking in the mirror when I was confrontated with those words. When a song really touches you, that's the proof it must have been a good song.

These two songs actually stirred up my interest to hear more from these artists.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 08:28 AM   #24
David
Ultimate Contributor

Another sad song

What is life: by the worlds greatest contralto
David is offline   Reply With Quote