EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 3 Dec 2022, 11:09 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Damn Hotmail draft wipe-out

We're all used to using Word, where if with successive edits, something goes wrong, you can just close out without saving, and it reverts to the most recent version.

But not Hotmail. Or at least not my Hotmail.

If something goes wrong, the default is to save. I had a long, complex email I'd been working on. And something happened where I accidentally wiped out the text. And there was no way to retrieve it. The earlier draft was gone.

I'm wondering, though - is there any preference I can set, that I don't know about, where I could make the default be NOT to save?
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Jan 2023, 01:00 AM   #2
jdtaylor
Master of the @

What about save as draft, this might be what you want. If you are using a computer you can use Hotmail/outlook.com with your email client j

It should be something like the list in the link, just click outlook.com/Hotmail
https://www.idrive.com/idrive/sh/sh?k=s8y4g0y0d7

I,’m sorry I couldn’t think of anything off the top of my head.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2023, 05:22 PM   #3
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

For many years I has the Textarea Cache Firefox extension: It saves a copy of all textarea contents in the browser so if a tab is closed I can still find the contents of the textareas in that tab. It's not a full undo/redo solution, but if one closes a window where an email is being composed, then I guess the contents are saved, and then I guess that version is later available after reopening that draft and changing it.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2023, 06:15 AM   #4
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtaylor View Post
What about save as draft, this might be what you want. If you are using a computer you can use Hotmail/outlook.com with your email client j

It should be something like the list in the link, just click outlook.com/Hotmail
https://www.idrive.com/idrive/sh/sh?k=s8y4g0y0d7

I,’m sorry I couldn’t think of anything off the top of my head.
My point is, if you save a draft, but when you return the next day, you accidentally wipe it out, the original draft can't be retrieved, even if you have not saved the accident.
Old 19 Jan 2023, 11:42 PM   #5
jdtaylor
Master of the @

That seems strange, if you are using ios choose Outlook, it will also let you use activesync with windows. It hasn't removed any of my drafts, so use the ios built in mail app and you won't have issues with the website.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Feb 2023, 08:05 AM   #6
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtaylor View Post
That seems strange, if you are using ios choose Outlook, it will also let you use activesync with windows. It hasn't removed any of my drafts, so use the ios built in mail app and you won't have issues with the website.
Drafts don't get removed, but everything is automatically saved. For instance, in one case I wanted to copy the draft with Control+C but I accidentally hit Control+V, so accidentally pasted in some random thing I'd copied previous. The draft was wiped out.
Old 2 Feb 2023, 10:22 PM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

Maybe not what you want to do, but if I am writing a long, complex email I often do so in a word processor or note keeping app first. I then cut and paste into my email. It is usually a lot easier to write something long that way, at least for me.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote