EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Apr 2013, 04:47 PM   #1
ulmus
Essential Contributor

How Dropbox with classic UI

Anyone know how to use dropbox new feature with classic ui? I am using classic ui and cannot see any single info about that I didnt switch to new ui and dont know if it exist there, and dont want to know, i am using classic and asking if it is in classic somewhere deeper. I cant find it.

Last edited by ulmus : 9 Apr 2013 at 07:27 PM.
ulmus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Apr 2013, 05:21 PM   #2
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Dropbox integration is not available in classic.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2013, 05:26 PM   #3
ulmus
Essential Contributor

When it will be?

p.s.
I am a 'full option' user, classic ui is not deprecated ui (afaik). I am paying for fastmail than
classic ui users are worse?
Curious: maybe some discount for less functionality?
ulmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2013, 05:30 PM   #4
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
We have no immediate plans to make it available in classic.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 06:13 PM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

FM's weblog entry http://blog.fastmail.fm/2013/04/09/d...w-available-2/ is all song and dance about the FM & Drobpox integration. Nowhere in the self-congratulatory text you say the integration works only in the Ajax interface.
This is misleading and dishonest.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2013, 06:22 PM   #6
NJSS
Master of the @

robn wrote:-

Quote:
Dropbox integration is not available in classic - and - We have no immediate plans to make it available in classic.
Like Janusz & Ulmus I am disappointed, and a little concerned.

Can you please indicate the general time scale within which Dropbox Integration will be available in the Classic UI?

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2013, 06:31 PM   #7
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
There are no plans to bring this particular feature to Classic, so I can't give you an estimate. Its not as easy to implement as it was for the Modern UI, and right now doesn't seem worth the additional effort. If it seems that there's significant demand for Dropbox integration in Classic, then we might revisit it.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 06:40 PM   #8
astrodog73

It is becoming more obvious that indeed classic is a deprecated interface.... when was the last new feature/enhancement added to classic??
astrodog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
.......If it seems that there's significant demand for Dropbox integration in Classic, then we might revisit it.
My vote, you have.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2013, 11:13 PM   #10
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
My vote, you have.
And mine.

But this raises two issues:

1. The depreciation of the Classic Interface, with new features not being made available.

2. The continuing poverty of the Modern Interface for experienced Fastmail users.

Edit:

That the notification of this new Dropbox feature fails to advise it is only available in the Modern Interface is also an indication that the Dev Team are not really interested in the Classic Interface. Experienced users are just being humoured.

Last edited by labarum : 10 Apr 2013 at 01:17 AM.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2013, 06:39 PM   #11
CyberDyne
Master of the @

I've tried to save files to my DropBox via FM and nothing arrived at DropBox. I can see the FM 'App' has been added to my DropBox account but numerous attempts to save files there failed.

FM, Ajax UI
Chrome
WinXP

Edit:
DropBox integration works in IE but not Chrome. There is no dropdown/popup window in Chrome as there is in IE.

Further Edit:
It appears the extension AdBlockPlus may have been the cause.

Last edited by CyberDyne : 10 Apr 2013 at 07:42 PM.
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2013, 11:36 PM   #12
NullSonic

Unfortunately, as a diehard Box.com user and one who prefers the old FM interface, it seems this is of no benefit to me. However, it's encouraging that FM is doing this type of integration.
NullSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2013, 12:41 AM   #13
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

Guys,

as much as I love the old interface, there is no question in my mind that Opera will kill the old interface at some point, even though they will not publicly state that. Reason: That would alienate quite a few users and revenue.

Having two interfaces to develop and maintain doesn't make too much sense business wise.

Now, I rather use the old interface, but would not have a problem if Opera migrated all or at least 99% of the features form the old to the new interface, stating with the "edit from email" feature.
qwertz123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2013, 01:05 AM   #14
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertz123456 View Post

Now, I rather use the old interface, but would not have a problem if Opera migrated all or at least 99% of the features form the old to the new interface . . .
Amen.

The new interface has many good points, but is still rather feature-light. If they would get on with the project I might move across. If they fail to include the missing features and turn off the classic interface I might easily be looking at alternatives, especially if they are free.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2013, 01:13 AM   #15
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by labarum View Post
Amen.

The new interface has many good points, but is still rather feature-light. If they would get on with the project I might move across. If they fail to include the missing features and turn off the classic interface I might easily be looking at alternatives, especially if they are free.
I mean I understand the concept of keeping it simple, but you could it easily hide the advanced features and let power users enable them if they so choose. Both worlds can work here. As in politics, give the people a choice, that's all I'm saying
qwertz123456 is offline   Reply With Quote