EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Jul 2024, 06:08 AM   #1
Landru

Home Depot & Lowes say NO to Fastmail email addresses

Long time Fastmail user cannot create new Home Depot Personal Account using @fastmail.com email addresses.

Was able to create account using @mailcan.com addresses, but no online transactions with ANY of my credit cards will complete using Fastmail email addresses. Same credit cards & orders complete using Gmail email addresses.

Same issue with Lowes using guest checkout. No online credit card transactions complete using Fastmail email addresses. Same credit cards & orders complete using Gmail email addresses.

Home Depot blames credit card companies. Credit card companies blame Home Depot. FastMail blames all others, but same transactions complete using Gmail email addresses.

To avoid weeks of failed attempts purchasing online from Home Depot or Lowes (& resolving issue), don't bother with Fastmail email addresses; just get a Gmail email address.
Landru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Jul 2024, 06:24 AM   #2
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
To avoid weeks of failed attempts purchasing online from Home Depot or Lowes (& resolving issue), don't bother with Fastmail email addresses; just get a Gmail email address.
Either that or support your local hardware store.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2024, 07:17 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I am not sure why you see that issue, but of course it is easy to use another Fastmail domain rather than fastmail.com. I have had both Home Depot and Lowes accounts for years using a subdomain of sent.com, a Fastmail domain. So Home Depot and Lowes contact me at:
homedepot@ALIAS.sent.com
lowes@ALIAS.sent.com
Where ALIAS is an alias address (ALIAS@sent.com). It is not actually ALIAS, that is just a placeholder for me to describe the address publicly. Anything sent to @ALIAS.sent.com or ALIAS@sent.com arrives in my Fastmail.com Inbox.

The big advantage of this is that since I made up these custom addresses and only share them with those particular companies, if I get an email supposedly from Home Depot sent to a different email address i know it is a scam and not related to my Home Depot account. If I start getting spam to that address I know that Home Depot had a data breach. This is especially useful for financial related accounts (banking, insurance, etc.) to protect you from scams.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 1 Jul 2024 at 07:23 AM.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2024, 07:33 AM   #4
guest2k
Cornerstone of the Community

I just did a test. I tried using Firefox to login but it wouldnt let me. I then try login using Microsoft Edge and everything works just fine. I think it depends on the browser you use. Try using different browsers to login.
guest2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2024, 08:08 AM   #5
placebo

I've used an @fastmail.net address with Home Depot for years with no problem. Most orders were for pick-up at a local store though, though I dimly recall having an order shipped straight to me once.

I think your issue lies most likely with the credit card companies. Both American Express and Citibank have, at times, had problems emailing my Fastmail address. It hasn't happened frequently though.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2024, 10:04 AM   #6
Landru

I like everyone's thought process and already use Fastmail aliases for same reasons as Bill:

hadaso : Prefer local, but buying flooring for rental in other city. Home Depots are close in both cities (ie; choose live locally for delivery to alternate Home Depot location).

n5bb : Tried @fastmail.com, @mailas.com, @mailcan.com; then used wife's @gmail.com. Will try @sent.com.

guest2k : Unsuccessfully tried Chrome & DuckDuckGo on PCs (& those plus Safari on MAC); also x3 ISPs. Can now add Firefox to list. Will try Edge & let y'all know if credit card [CC] transactions complete.

placebo : Was able to create Home Depot account using @mailcan.com address, but no CC transactions complete using that account. All CC transactions complete using @gmail.com Home Depot account. x2 different CC reps said nothing on their end blocking Home Depot transactions. Both CC companies email me at Fastmail aliases regularly, nor are trying to email during these transactions.

I turned to forums because Credit Card companies, Home Depot, and Fastmail have given no options to pursue resolution, except call the others. Suggested workarounds accomplish same thing as using @gmail.com account, and all reduce my confidence in Fastmail.

Last edited by Landru : 1 Jul 2024 at 01:54 PM.
Old 1 Jul 2024, 10:51 AM   #7
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Well it must be you or your set up as no one else has a problem.

Turn off your Pop up blocker or allow it for what ever you are trying to get into
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2024, 01:37 PM   #8
Landru

Credit Card issue:

Terry : Thank you for your feedback, but all credit cards work using @gmail.com Home Depot account, but NOT using @mailcan.com Home Depot account; both using same ISP, computer, & browser.

In this testing scenario I wouldn't except popup-blockers, blacklisting, or whitelisting to distinguish one Home Depot account from another (ie; both would work or neither)? However if these security settings can be configured that way, I'd appreciate your guidance.
Old 1 Jul 2024, 02:01 PM   #9
Landru

Creating new Home Depot Personal Account issue:

If anyone can verify they've recently created a new Home Depot Personal Account using @fastmail.com email address, that would be great.

guest2k : You mentioned some testing, but sounds like you were logging in to an existing Home Depot account, correct?

My attempts using different @fastmail.com aliases, x3 different ISPs, x3 different computers (x2 PCs & x1 Mac), and now x5 different browsers (Chrome, DuckDuckGo, Safari, Firefox, and Edge) have all been unsuccessful.
Old 1 Jul 2024, 04:27 PM   #10
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Perhaps Fastmail has been black listed, try F/M support.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2024, 11:09 AM   #11
Landru

Fastmail Support followed up with me again today with the following:

Creating new Home Depot Personal Account:
"...we can verify that some of our domains are blocked by Homedepot. Both Sent.com and Fastmail.com produce an error when attempting to create an account for Homedepot. [But some Fastmail domains do work]."

Credit Card:
"...guess[ing] that both Lowes and Homedepot are using a similar anti-fraud detection tool-kit. This has been pretty hard for us to reproduce as I've been able to successfully place orders even after a user reported being blocked. I suspect that email is one factor but they're likely using others too."

Like me, sounds like they're also frustrated with Home Depot Support, but trying to work with them to resolve issues. I'm not the only one, and my confidence in Fastmail is restored.
Old 2 Jul 2024, 01:22 PM   #12
trikotret

Quote:
Fastmail Support followed up with me again today with the following:

Creating new Home Depot Personal Account:
"...we can verify that some of our domains are blocked by Homedepot. Both Sent.com and Fastmail.com produce an error when attempting to create an account for Homedepot. [But some Fastmail domains do work]."

Credit Card:
"...guess[ing] that both Lowes and Homedepot are using a similar anti-fraud detection tool-kit. This has been pretty hard for us to reproduce as I've been able to successfully place orders even after a user reported being blocked. I suspect that email is one factor but they're likely using others too."

Like me, sounds like they're also frustrated with Home Depot Support, but trying to work with them to resolve issues. I'm not the only one, and my confidence in Fastmail is restored.
I guess you are not using a custom domain?
trikotret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2024, 07:23 AM   #13
Bamb0
Master of the @

Someone should tell them email coming from fastmail IS NOT SPAM and should be allowed!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2024, 12:05 PM   #14
guest2k

Quote:
Creating new Home Depot Personal
guest2k : You mentioned some testing, but sounds like you were logging in to an existing Home Depot account, correct?
Yep, that's correct. I had an account with HD for awhile now.
guest2k is offline   Reply With Quote