EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 23 Apr 2005, 10:53 AM   #16
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

I know it's drifting-off a bit, but...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3760088.stm
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2021, 11:25 AM   #17
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@fm
[*]YYZ by Rush contains the Morse for YYZ, the international abbreviation (and beacon pattern) for Toronto Airport, which is their home airport.
Wow really??

I have this song on cassette,8track and record from thier 1981 concert EXIT STAGE LEFT..

I hadnt ever noticed that,Im gonna listen now and see if I hear it (The concert is 100% analogue so it should be easily heard on that)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2021, 01:00 PM   #18
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes, the introduction of the Rush song "YYZ" has several (I believe 9) repetitions of YYZ. Y is "dah-di-dah-dah" and Z is "dah-dah-di-dit". In the first few bars of the song, you hear "dah-di-dah-dah dah-di-dah-dah" followed in a much faster tempo by "dah-dah-di-dit". The last two dots at the end are very fast drumstick beats. The three characters YYZ are very close to each other, with very little gap. So to someone like me (a ham radio operator for 52 years whose most favorite mode is Morse Code CW), it doesn't stand out as code unless you are expecting it to be there.

The Inspector Morse series for British TV (also played on many US PBS stations) definitely has "MORSE" sent slowly in the theme music.

The teaser music (before the news update) for the NPR game show "Wait, Wait ... Don't Tell Me" includes what sounds to me like "di-dah-di-di-dit dah-di-dah-dit dah-di-dit", which translates to " <AS> C D " or " <AS> <CD> ". The <AS> means "wait", but I can't think of a reason for "C D" or <CD> (strung together). Because the "wait" part is pretty clear, my assumption is that it was intentional, as it is the beginning of the program name.

There are many other examples of Morse Code used in the media. My guess is that most of these were slipped in as "Easter Eggs" by someone, and that most people in the production team have no idea they are there. Some are probably accidental. Nokia phones for years had a default SMS text message ringer tone which played "di-di-dit dah-dah di-di-dit", which is SMS in Morse code. I'm sure that must have been intentional. I was very surprised when I first heard phones sending that Morse Code message when those phones became popular years ago.

Beethoven's 5th Symphony (which begins with di-di-di-dah, the Morse code letter "V") was written about 30 years before the early versions of Morse Code were developed.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2021, 05:31 AM   #19
Bamb0
Master of the @

Def very interesting!!

I didnt ever hear code in YYZ but then again I wasnt listening for it either..... Next time I hear the concert I will really listen close........ It should be on the live concert one also right? (I havent listenend yet)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote