EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 5 Mar 2014, 05:17 AM   #1
EdinwolfPA
Cornerstone of the Community

Arrow NEW-ICANN Policy Rules Regarding Contact Data

Hello,

Anyone who has their own Domain Name should read this:

http://luxsci.com/blog/important-new...tact-data.html

David
EdinwolfPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Mar 2014, 06:06 AM   #2
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
From what I understand, if you are in the WHOIS with valid contact details (= a functioning email address, and your official postal address or any other existing postal address you have access to, such as a secondary address or family residence's address) this won't affect you.

However, for new domain registrations or when you transfer a domain or change its settings, a new verification procedure is running. But not affecting those whose WHOIS data were already in order in the first place and who are not planning any change to the DNS settings.

Thanks for posting the article's link. I was worried for a moment but seems it won't affect me since my WHOIS data and DNS data are all correct and have been since quite a while.

Does the rule regarding the new procedure when registering a new domain apply to ccTLD's too, or only to generic domains?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2014, 03:34 PM   #3
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
From what I understand, if you are in the WHOIS with valid contact details (= a functioning email address, and your official postal address
There is nothing in the new rules about postal addresses
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2014, 09:26 PM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
"it implements a requirement for email verification of all “unverified” contact data used in domain name registrations."
While it doesn't apply to me (they know my email works, have used it ever since I bought my first domain with them), I realise my mistake indeed, taking contact data a bit too literally.

Quote:
"It means that you will now have to verify your email address when:
1.You register a new domain name
2.You modify your domain’s whois details with new, unverified data
3.You transfer a domain name and modify the whois data
4.The owner contact email has BOUNCED back a message from ICANN"

I assume nr 2 and the modifying WHOIS with new, unverified "data", that "data" refers to the contact email address as well and not to postal addresses?

Also, the nr 4 is probably relevant only to those whose email contacts are not known as functioning and verified with the specific registrar??
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2014, 04:03 PM   #5
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I assume nr 2 and the modifying WHOIS with new, unverified "data", that "data" refers to the contact email address as well and not to postal addresses?
According to the article, what's being verified is "a specific email address, first name, last name combination". I assume it means that as long as your full name and email address don't change, the postal address doesn't matter; but different registrars may have different policies.

You should also be very careful if you use one of the many "WHOIS privacy" services out there. Not all of them reliably forward important emails to your actual email address. If you use a privacy service that doesn't do email forwarding properly, you are at risk of losing your domain.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2014, 04:52 AM   #6
helpthecretins

Lightbulb exim: reject non-encrypted email with 4xx error code, IP-PBX...

There are some great 419 scambaiting techniques that will apply to whois now.

Quote:
valid
I registered an international TLD domain recently and was amused by the registrar's insistence on calling the whois number captcha style.

Gee, what kind of number could be called only during verification?

To respect the no advertising rule I will describe the IP PBX capable ITSP service bar you'll need to interweb search up yourself:

* SIP TCP
* SIP TLS
* filter callerid number
* filter callerid name
** CNAM filtering
* visual flow editor [graphical usually flash or java to see path of caller and drag n drop components/functions]
* multiple extensions
* IVR

Your current IP-PBX or IP-PBX capable ITSP can license various visual editors if they haven't their own in house system.

Last edited by helpthecretins : 24 Mar 2014 at 05:10 AM. Reason: some TLDs have respect for whois privacy by policy: canada for example. other obvious stratagems not enumerated
helpthecretins is offline   Reply With Quote