EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 19 May 2021, 02:05 AM   #16
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpn View Post
Out of curiosity, why the preference for a dedicated app? Is it so that you can reply from aliases?
I'm okay without an app, but yes I do prefer a dedicated app if possible since I keep running into services that have some feature that doesn't work perfectly with a typical client.

For example, even FastMail, which is very standards-oriented (and it works fine with IMAP clients), has a bunch of little things that just work better in the FastMail app. You mentioned aliases, but that's a good example. It's super convenient in the FastMail app, where everything is identical to how you set it up in the webmail interface, no messing around with extra identity settings. And that matters when you have lots of aliases. Everything is the same -- including snoozing, contacts, settings, etc. Not to mention features I don't use often like the calendar and notes.

So it's nice to have identical features in a smartphone app and webmail client. But not necessary, since the main thing is just email in this case. So IMAP is okay. Just not optimal.

Same kind of situation -- but for other reasons -- in services like Tutanota, ProtonMail, etc.. Or even GMail, which I don't use any more. They all have solid apps.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 08:40 PM   #17
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I'm okay without an app, but yes I do prefer a dedicated app if possible...
^^This^^ I too find that the dedicated apps work best, and tend to be the fastest in terms of syncing, the easiest to set up, and the most reliable longterm. Plus it is nice to be able to go to one place for help instructions and or actual customer service when something isn't working right, otherwise you get the usual response that "it is not our problem but a problem with the app you're using." Plus, if you do use the calendar, contacts, notes, tasks and whatever it is great to have them all integrated and working properly too. For my main email account I look for a service with a dedicated app, though I will use email services for secondary purposes that do not have dedicated apps.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 07:19 PM   #18
TenFour
Master of the @

Apple Mail? Dedicated app for iPhones. It's strange we rarely see any discussion about Apple Mail on this forum yet I think it is one of the biggest providers in the world. It does seem like people in the wide world rarely mention it--it just works lurking in the background. You'd have to handle the multiple domains and aliases elsewhere, but could manage it all via Apple Mail. That's how I get around the one-man provider problem. I use a small domain email place that is inexpensive and then just POP everything to Gmail where I can handle the mail day-to-day.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2021, 10:43 AM   #19
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Apple Mail? Dedicated app for iPhones. It's strange we rarely see any discussion about Apple Mail on this forum yet I think it is one of the biggest providers in the world. It does seem like people in the wide world rarely mention it--it just works lurking in the background. You'd have to handle the multiple domains and aliases elsewhere, but could manage it all via Apple Mail. That's how I get around the one-man provider problem. I use a small domain email place that is inexpensive and then just POP everything to Gmail where I can handle the mail day-to-day.
I used apple mail for long years. but I didn't trust it much.
https://forums.imore.com/general-app...ting-mail.html
jeffpan is online now   Reply With Quote