EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 Sep 2022, 09:18 AM   #16
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo View Post
1Password and Bitwarden aren't necessary to use the feature. Those applications just added support to streamline the process of using it.

Thanks for clarifying.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2022, 06:28 PM   #17
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Years ago, I used to use subdomain addressing so I could give each site a unique email address, but I didn't do that for long. It was more hassle than it was worth.
Why is it a hassle? I generally use alias addresses of the form service@aliasname.aliasdomain where service is chosen to indicate what the alias is being used for. Only one actual alias need be defined for for a group of services, i.e., basically what you described. And FM's fuzzy folder matching handles the filtering when the folders are the service names (used in conjunction with an appropriately chosen alias's target definition).

This doesn't seem like any hassle to me. Masked addresses on the other hand feel like they are more of a hassle since you have no control over the names and forcing you to keep or set additional info what the masked address alias is being used for.

Last edited by xyzzy : 20 Sep 2022 at 06:35 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2022, 08:11 PM   #18
truemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Why is it a hassle? I generally use alias addresses of the form service@aliasname.aliasdomain where service is chosen to indicate what the alias is being used for. Only one actual alias need be defined for for a group of services, i.e., basically what you described. And FM's fuzzy folder matching handles the filtering when the folders are the service names (used in conjunction with an appropriately chosen alias's target definition).

This doesn't seem like any hassle to me. Masked addresses on the other hand feel like they are more of a hassle since you have no control over the names and forcing you to keep or set additional info what the masked address alias is being used for.
I agree. I'm too using something like @bank.domain.com then create a filter/rule so that all emails to recipient of that subdomain goes to certain folder. As for masked addresses I'm still hesitant to use it over AnonAddy because of the fact that they can't be deleted "permanently"
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2022, 09:08 PM   #19
emoore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I don't know how widespread the problem is anymore, but one problem with plus addressing is that some sites reject those addresses as invalid. A second issue that's perhaps more relevant these days is that it exposes your real email address whereas masked email doesn't.
I've heard that some sites won't accept plus addressing but I've never run into it and don't know anybody that has run into it. Doesn't seem worth worrying about.

I have trouble understanding the rationale for hiding my real email address. That seems like a flawed attempt to deal with spam. I typically go over a year without any spam in my Fastmail inbox. Its been that way for almost 20 years. If I suddenly start getting spam I'll tweak my Sieve script.
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote