EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 8 Apr 2009, 10:16 AM   #1
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Spf1 ?

Would some kind soul explain how i can set txt records to v= spf1 include hotmail.com and there is a little squigly mark and then the word all. I have never attempted this and don't know where to start. Namecheap is my domain hoster. Thanks for any help
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Apr 2009, 04:36 PM   #2
stan marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
Would some kind soul explain how i can set txt records to v= spf1 include hotmail.com and there is a little squigly mark and then the word all. I have never attempted this and don't know where to start. Namecheap is my domain hoster. Thanks for any help
Hello,

All you need to do in NameCheap is to find ALL HOST RECORDS menu for your domain and create the TXT record as follows:

@ | v= spf1 include:hotmail.com ~all | TXT

Please note that as with all other registrars, ALL HOST RECORDS is available only if the domain is using NameCheap's default nameservers (these are either dns1-3.registrar-servers.com or dns1-5.name-services.com). If it is not, you should contact your DNS provider (most probably, your hosting company).

Good luck!
stan marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2009, 10:10 PM   #3
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks stan for yopur response. I'm part way there but have a question. Is one charector a small case L (l) ? and how do I make the little wavy charector that is between the com and the ALL ?
Thanks much
Old 8 Apr 2009, 10:32 PM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Yes, it's lower-case 'el' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_(letter)
The squiggly character (tilde) should be somewhere on your keyboard, but it's one of these funny characters which get allocated to different keys (or key combinations) on different physical keyboards, so it's difficult to generalise. On the UK-style keyboard I'm using now it's 'upper case #', middle row on the right, but your mileage may vary....
You can always try cut-and-paste from stan marsh's message

Last edited by janusz : 8 Apr 2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: typo in link
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2009, 11:20 PM   #5
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks janusz for your input. where do I paste the SPF1 line ? I tried inserting it in the same field as the mx records and it wouldn't take. Should it be put in the uper field below the selected TXT? Sorry to be such a dummy but have never tried this feature before. I found the little wavy line at extreme left of the row of numbers across top of keyboard. So I'm making some progress.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 05:05 PM   #6
stan marsh

Hi...

I have used '|' symbol to separate different fields in ALL HOST RECORDS menu.

So, @ goes in HOST NAME field, 'v= spf1 include:hotmail.com ~all' (w/o the quotes) - to IP ADDRESS/ URL, and you select TXT RECORD in a drop-down menu for RECORD TYPE.

I have uploaded a screenshot here: http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8809/spf.jpg

Good luck!
stan marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 12:08 AM   #7
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks so much stan and janusz for your help. I've wanted for a long time to be able to do this and now I can. One quick question, is there a space between spf1 and include? also when I insert the little wavy mark it is at top of "all" instead of about the center of "all" as shown in your example. I have to hit the shift key to display the wavy thingy. Does this matter?

Last edited by sheprd : 10 Apr 2009 at 12:34 AM.