EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 12 Jul 2007, 03:21 AM   #1
mrw

Access to website files without email acess possible?

Hi!

I have my email and a podcast website here, hosted by fastmail. It is a student podcast with a number of shows archived and incoming. I just moved it from another ISP, and I would really like the person who works on the website part not to have access to my email too. But I think I have to give them my login and password, and that means no privacy.

I am a clueless user when it comes to this stuff, my strengths are in writing/creative. If the answer is in the extensive recursively interlinked FAQ's, I can't find it. A bit overwhelming to someone like me.

Is there a way?

Thanks,

Mike (aka mrw)
mrw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Jul 2007, 06:20 AM   #2
Sherry

Hi Mike,

As far as I know there is no way to "upload" files into your File Storage area without using your real FM address/password. There are ways to maybe accomplish what you want. You can give a link to the folder/file they need to work on with or without a choice of passwords (not your real FM password). The person can then download the file, work on it then get it back to you so you can upload it back to the web folder. There are three ways I can think of to get the file back to you.

1. They can email it back to you.
2. They can put it in their File Storage area (if they are with FM) where you can download it.
3. If you have an Enhanced account you can "Share" the folder (by asking FM if you can be included in those testing it out) so the person can use the folder pretty much as you do.

Following is a link to a thread discussing sharing files.

File / Web access

Sherry

PS - You might want to read thru the thread so you understand how the sharing actually works.
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 06:26 AM   #3
mrw

The person does not have fm. I have an enhanced account. She wants access to the whole website, my podcast at www.infospeak.org for editing, tweaking, etc. on an ongoing basis as webmaster. I want her to have access, but not to my email.

With or without a password? Can I give her a password that accesses the website without my email too?

I am so confused by your reply. Sorry.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 06:49 AM   #4
zhak
Master of the @

Mike,

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I'm just surprised that you don't host it at the ischool. You wouldn't have to worry about bandwidth as you might at FM. The universities I've been associated with generally always supported positive grad student efforts such as yours. Nice looking website.

-Jim
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 07:19 AM   #5
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw View Post
I am so confused by your reply. Sorry.
I'm so sorry I confused you with my post. I should have let someone answer that also hosts a website with FM. I was thinking in terms of a website that starts with the main site having links to url's, pictures etc. where the url's, pictures and in your case the podcasts would change so someone would have to upload/download/edit the commands to those parts of the website on a regular basis. In order to edit those files they would need to be downloaded (where you could give access to downloading them) or use WebDAV or FTP to access/work on the files which would require knowing your real email address/password.
Quote:
With or without a password? Can I give her a password that accesses the website without my email too?
If the website files are stored in your FM File Storage area in a folder/subfolders then yes, you can give access, with or without a password of your choice to the folders that store the files however they would not be able to "work on the files". They could only download them but not upload them.

I think I better back off now because I'm probably confusing you even more now. I'm sure someone who understands what you need/want will soon post to help you. Just hang in there a bit.

Sherry
Old 12 Jul 2007, 07:45 AM   #6
mrw

I kind of get it. It sounds promising, not having her into my email and able to download the files...thanks for your effort thus far, you are kind.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 07:58 AM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

You could buy another account mrw and just use it for webhosting (and shared email) likely this would be the easiest way to resolve the dilemma.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 08:09 AM   #8
Sherry

Mike, I think David has a good idea there. You could get her an FM Member account at a "one time" cost of $14.95 and then share the folder holding all your website files with her account (as explained in the link I gave you). She could then work on/upload/download the files to the website folder just as you can.

Sherry

PS - Someone else will need to comment on the bandwidth usage that the Member account may use with the above suggestion???

Last edited by Sherry : 12 Jul 2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 08:25 AM   #9
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Mike, I think David has a good idea there. You could get her an FM Member account at a "one time" cost of $14.95 and then share the folder holding all your website files with her account (as explained in the link I gave you). She could then work on/upload/download the files to the website folder just as you can.
I had in mind a shared account that would accommodate the entire web site Sherry. A member account would be able to share an email folder (with the other account) but would only be able to upload files to the member account file storage space - which might not be big enough to host the website. Or am I missing your meaning?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 09:27 AM   #10
Sherry

I knew you meant to get a shared "account" however I was pointing out, using your idea of another account, he could just share the "File Storage" website folder (not an email folder) with a Member account. The files would still be stored on the Enhanced account so it wouldn't affect the Member accounts storage however I'm not sure how the bandwidth would work. That could be a problem? Anyway the link I gave him shows/explains how that is done.

Sherry

Edit: I just read the link about the shared files folder and I see you can share it with a Guest (free) account (or at least could when that was posted ) so he wouldn't have to buy the Member account (unless extra bandwidth is needed as you can't buy extra at the Guest level)

Last edited by Sherry : 12 Jul 2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 04:13 PM   #11
mrw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhak View Post
Mike,

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I'm just surprised that you don't host it at the ischool. You wouldn't have to worry about bandwidth as you might at FM. The universities I've been associated with generally always supported positive grad student efforts such as yours. Nice looking website.

-Jim
There has been no support at all from the iSchool. I don't think they are keen on endorsing student projects. We made a plea for webspace long ago. They have mentioned it in a fund raising letter to the alumni though.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 07:20 PM   #12
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

It's possible to share folders between FM accounts. It's not an official thing but if one asks nicely they would do it (I have a folder in my enhanced account shared with my son's Guest account and the filestore of my testing (Guest) account shared with my enhanced account. It's an experimental thing so they don't promise it will not break (sych as when one account is automatically moved to another server).

Some issues: Bandwidth is charged to the account that uses it, so bandwidth for the webmaster's work on the files hosted on the shared folder on the enhanced account would be charged to the webmaster's (member?) account. Bandwidth for people accessing the site from the web would be charged to the enhanced account. If the webmaster's work doesn't involve lots of bandwidth it's a workable arrangement. If the Webmaster has to ipload lots of huge files regularly then the webmaster's account would need to have more file bandwidth.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 06:04 AM   #13
zhak
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw View Post
There has been no support at all from the iSchool. I don't think they are keen on endorsing student projects. We made a plea for webspace long ago. They have mentioned it in a fund raising letter to the alumni though.
Sorry if I'm rehashing ground you've already covered, but I've found the school/university does generally say no to students, but if you get a faculty member or your department chair to sponsor you, they pony up fairly quickly. Especially for a site so small it can be run from Fastmail's file storage webspace.

-Jim
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 08:14 AM   #14
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Actually nowadays it is quite easy to do what the OP wanted: One can create an app password and set the access type to "Files (WebDAV)". Then provide that password to the person that needs access R/W to the file storage that can use any WebDAV client (such as Windows Explorer) to access it using the username + app password.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote