EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 May 2024, 04:59 PM   #1
evfrson

Fastmail calendar shading

Is there anyway to get rid of the awful grey shading in Fastmail calendar ?
I just want a plain white background and not something forced on me to assume I work 8am to 6pm.
evfrson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 May 2024, 05:44 PM   #2
Avion

I have a dark theme (easier on the old eyes) and with that theme, the 'out of working hours' shading is barely noticeable, to me anyway.

Can't comment on a light theme, though.
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 07:08 PM   #3
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by evfrson View Post
... something forced on me to assume I work 8am to 6pm.
Fastmail's calendar has many assumptions that are quite culturally biased.
I usually start my workday between 10AM and noon, and finish around 10PM (when it's a 20 minutes drive home and not at least an hour drive in unbearable traffic). I'm not bothered that much by the light grey background but I guess some people are more sensitive to slight differences in color than others (my wife is much more sensitive to noise than I am).
Thankfully there is a setting for "first day on week" so I can have my calendar display Sunday through Saturday, but this setting doesn't apply to the email snooze options, so if I snooze something to "next week" I don't get it on the first day of the week (which is Sunday around here) but rather on the second day, which right now happens to be the day I tend to work from home, so it's the least appropriate day to snooze email to. Also Snoozing email till "tomorrow" means 8AM tomorrow, and snoozing till "this evening" means 6PM while what I really need is 9PM, and snoozing till "next weekend" means Saturday morning, while what I really want is Thursday at 9PM, when I'm planning the weekend (that is Friday+Saturday here).
So what actually happens is that since using one of the defaults is just clicking "Snooze" + one more click, and setting the date and time is a lot more, I tend to snooze to 6PM and then after 6 PM to snooze to "later today" to get it at 9PM, and for mail I need on Sunday I snooze till "next weekend" which is closest, and then I usually snooze it till "Tomorrow" to get it on Sunday, or else I snooze it yo "Next week" and then again snooze it on Monday till "Tomorrow" so it only gets dealt with on Tuesday. For email I really want on the weekend I manually choose the date and time, which is then remembered till the end of the day, but on the next day it is off by one day (because what it really remembers is "snooze till this many days at this hour").
So what I would really like is to be able to set my own defaults for snoozing, or at least to be able to get rid of all the default options, and get the menu for choosing date and time each time I snooze a message with one click less, and without having to scroll doen below all the default options.
Even the option to snooze "later today" that postpones the message by 3-4 hours would benefit from being replaced with an option that allows to choose the time of day in one or two clicks. 3-4 hours is almost never exactly what I need. usually the best is 1 or two hours (till I finish what I'm doing right now) or till an hour I know is available in my schedule.
Anyway, the ability to snooze email is awesome. But the chosen defaults encourage me to use it in a sub-optimal way.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote