EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 May 2024, 04:12 AM   #1
davidbstanley
Cornerstone of the Community

IMAP expunges when it should not

I almost exclusively use the Thunderbird client with Fastmail and rarely the web interface. I have been having a discussion over at Bugzilla regarding what I originally thought was a bug in Thunderbird. My preference when I delete a message is to mark it as deleted in the classic IMAP way. Then when I am ready I manually expunge (compact) the folder. However my folders are getting expunged when exiting Thunderbird. I had assumed Thunderbird was incorrectly expunging the folder when exiting. Checks have now shown that not to be the case.

I am copying what a contributor at Bugzilla has to say as it says it better than I can:
Quote:
Ok, I see it too with a trail fastmail account. With just mark it as deleted, TB never sends an imap CLOSE; it just sends imap LOGOUT. Imap CLOSE is supposed to permanently delete any messages marked deleted. But LOGOUT doesn't. So it looks like fastmail is not following the RFC?
That seems strange since doing the same thing with cyrus (and other servers I have, e.g., dovecot) don't expunge messages on shutdown when only LOGOUT is done.
Re: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/htm...#section-6.4.2
Is this a bug in the FM implementation or by design? The Bugzilla discussion is here:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1865073
davidbstanley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 May 2024, 02:45 AM   #2
gj15

I suspect you'll need to submit a support ticket via Fastmail's "Help Center" https://support.fastmail.com/support/. Fastmail haven't engaged on this forum for a long time.
gj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2024, 06:45 PM   #3
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
I replied on the Thunderbird bug as well. Basically, \Deleted and EXPUNGE is a wart and we auto-expunge messages as if another client was sitting there watching for changes and running EXPUNGE - as is allowed by the protocol. It's required for our JMAP implementation to work consistently.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote