EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 1 Feb 2022, 11:40 AM   #1
artmanphoto

Thunderbird - some received emails are plain text not HTML

I am using Thunderbird 91.5.1 (64-bit) on a Macbook Pro.

When I receive an email from a person the text is always in HTML.

When I send myself a bcc and the email comes in the text is sometimes plain text and sometimes HTML.

Why is the bcc email sometimes HTML and sometimes plain text. Is there a setting to make the received bcc messages always HTML.

I am also using the latest version of Thunderbird on a Windows 10 Professional 64-bit PC. This also happens with that Thunderbird package too.

Thanks very much - Bill

Last edited by artmanphoto : 1 Feb 2022 at 12:17 PM.
artmanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Feb 2022, 01:52 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

My guess is this is what you are seeing:
  • In the "Composition & Addressing" section in the Thunderbird Account Settings, you have choices selected to not compose messages in HTML format. So when you compose a new email from scratch, it may be by default in plain text, and so that's what you see on the BCC (and others will see).
  • Also, in Thunderbird settings (Composition > Send Options), you probably have "Text Format" "Send messages as plain text if possible" enabled, or otherwise on that or other places in the set up you have plain text specified as the default when you compose a new message.
  • But when you are replying or forwarding a message sent by someone else, you have things set up so that the messages use the format of the original message. So your BCC from messages you reply to or forward stays in the same mode (HTML or plain text) used by the sender.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Feb 2022, 01:03 AM   #3
artmanphoto

Bill, thanks for your help!!

When I checked your answer

Composition & Addressing in account settings I had compose messages in HTML

In the Thunderbird settings Composition Send Options I had Text Format checked as you thought I might. I have now unchecked that box.

I will wait and see if any of my Bcc messages come in as plain text or HTML.

Thanks again for your help - I really appreciate it!

Bill
artmanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2022, 03:14 PM   #4
charliesmith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmanphoto View Post
I am using Thunderbird 91.5.1 (64-bit) on a Macbook Pro.

When I receive an email from a person the text is always in HTML.

When I send myself a bcc and the email comes in the text is sometimes plain text and sometimes HTML.

Why is the bcc email sometimes HTML and sometimes plain text. Is there a setting to make the received bcc messages always HTML.

I am also using the latest version of Thunderbird on a Windows 10 Professional 64-bit PC. This also happens with that Thunderbird package too.

Thanks very much - Bill
Actually, I am also using Thunderbird from a long time, but I don't know, from few days I was not receiving emails. Then I've did some research & performed one troubleshoot where I just disabled my Antivirus Firewall. After the reboot, it started working fine & I was able to receive emails again in my Thunderbird account.
charliesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2023, 11:03 AM   #5
potablerustle
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesmith View Post
Actually, I am also using Thunderbird from a long time, but I don't know, from few days I was not receiving emails. Then I've did some research & performed one troubleshoot where I just disabled my Antivirus Firewall. After the reboot, it started working fine & I was able to receive emails again in my Thunderbird account.

I appreciate your patience with simple souls like me! free games
potablerustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2023, 03:05 AM   #6
Avion

What's the point of permanently banning someone, but leaving their posts, including the spam links, in place?
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2023, 04:44 AM   #7
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avion View Post
What's the point of permanently banning someone, but leaving their posts, including the spam links, in place?
I agree. Useless. What's worse is another user quoting a spammy post and including the spammy link that was in the original post.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2023, 12:14 PM   #8
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avion
We had someone a few years ago that also tried that but I DID SEE THAT ONE (I didnt see this one right away) and I reported it to Reuven I believe if I remember right.......

Last edited by Bamb0 : 26 Sep 2023 at 12:23 PM.
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote