EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 12 May 2008, 12:18 PM   #16
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmailer View Post
First, .... <bunch of ramble>....issues.
My opinion on the issue of illegal file sharing is black and white. Period. I think you know my stance.

You can take whatever stance you want and put in any nice wrapper you wish.. morals, ethics or whatever. Although, I will point out that a moral argument in this case does not make any sense the way I look at it. Will go about as far as telling someone to unplug from the net.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to battle much right now.

In a thread with potential to help people, this has turned into a cluster....
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2008, 07:37 AM   #17
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

My main point was merely that any legal or moral considerations are separate considerations from that of computer security. That is, AFAIK it doesn't make any difference how one obtains a file carrying malware, either way if the file is run/played it will affect one's system the same regardless.

Although of course you're entitled to your opinion, I don't think I've seen you provide any actual proof of your seeming implication above that obtaining files through such file sharing programs (with which some users may share "illegal" files) necessarily puts one's system in any greater danger than obtaining/downloading them through any other means. Again, I'm talking about compromising the security of one's computer system, not about either the moral or legal implications of copyright violation, which it seems to me is pretty much a completely separate issue or question. And blurring these issues may lend itself to "clustering"(?) the issue as much as anything else.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2008, 07:56 AM   #18
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmailer View Post
My main point was merely that any legal or moral considerations are separate considerations from that of computer security. That is, AFAIK it doesn't make any difference how one obtains a file carrying malware, either way if the file is run/played it will affect one's system the same regardless.
Okay... you can talk moral issues with someone else. That is not my argument. I don't understand why you are attempting to make it my argument....

Quote:
Although of course you're entitled to your opinion, I don't think I've seen you provide any actual proof of your seeming implication above that obtaining files through such file sharing programs (with which some users may share "illegal" files) necessarily puts one's system in any greater danger than obtaining/downloading them through any other means.
For the LAST time, I already have... my experience and educational background... that is enough. If you don't believe me, that is okay since you don't know me and I don't know you.

Do you want me to start providing a mass of internet links? If someone wants to research what I've stated, they can have at it... google is not too far.

I've found over the last couple of months, that providing links upon links and trying to get someone to pull to your side is a waste of time. Plus, some of the links I could pull might not make the mods happy. lol I'm not going there. To prove what? Nothing...

My posts are to help people understand that their are risks involved in using these programs. If someone has a legitimate question, I'll answer. I have no interest in trying to convince you of anything, it is a waste of time. You are going to believe whatever you want to believe.

Quote:
Again, I'm talking about compromising the security of one's computer system, not about either the moral or legal implications of copyright violation, which it seems to me is pretty much a completely separate issue or question. And blurring these issues may lend itself to "clustering"(?) the issue as much as anything else.
However you want to spin it... like I said, you are looking for an argument that is not there. Sorry.

There is nothing for me to "win." I'm only here to help so people can use the internet safely.

Unfortunately, some have other motives, which I can't explain... so be it...

People can read my posts on concerns and my posts on suggestions... if they believe what I'm saying and want to follow my suggestions, it is all good. I've served my purpose. If not, they can eventually have their pc repaired or contacting the irs after their identity is stolen.

Last edited by theog : 13 May 2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 13 May 2008, 11:42 AM   #19
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by theog View Post
Do you want me to start providing a mass of internet links? If someone wants to research what I've stated, they can have at it... google is not too far.
I did, I didn't find a single link that supports your position that mainstream p2p applications share files they shouldn't. I found hundreds of links warning that they can be misconfigured to share such files.

For what it's worth here are my links for Opera, and my preferred p2p client, Mldonkey.

http://secunia.com/search/?search=opera (be sure to scroll all the way, and click *all* the "next" links in "all" the sections)

http://secunia.com/search/?search=mldonkey (note that the only remotely significant problem is really a Gentoo ebuild bug)

If I had to pick one to put in a sandbox, it would be Opera.

Last edited by DrStrabismus : 13 May 2008 at 12:02 PM.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2008, 03:31 PM   #20
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrabismus View Post
I did, I didn't find a single link that supports your position that mainstream p2p applications share files they shouldn't.
Obviously, you wouldn't.

You are the guy who tells people they CAN outrun a tornado in a car if they head in the opposite direction.

Of course, people listen, because they want to believe.

I'm the guy that spreads fud because I tell people to stay in the house or get out of a car and find shelter or lie in a ditch.

Quote:
I found hundreds of links warning that they can be misconfigured to share such files.
I guess there is a difference.... yawn... end of discussion.... you kids can carry on....

Don't know why I came back to help an endless and worthless discussion... I never learn....

Here a good link for me to leave on: http://youtube.com/watch?v=E06SoECIp1U&feature=related

Last edited by theog : 13 May 2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 16 May 2008, 12:32 AM   #21
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Fine, you were given the chance to put-up or shut-up, and you have elected to shut-up.
Old 2 Mar 2009, 03:36 AM   #22
theog
= Permanently banned =

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29447088/

Latest incident... in a long string, but this one may get some attention...

Report: Obama helicopter security breached

Quote:
"What appears to be a defense contractor in Bethesda, Md., had a file-sharing program on one of their systems that also contained highly sensitive blueprints for Marine One," Boback said.
Quote:
"When downloading one of these file-sharing programs, you are effectively allowing others around the world to access your hard drive," Boback said.
Lot more chatter around the net about hackers allowed access through these types of programs no matter how you have them configed....

Young Jedi, be careful.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 12:22 AM   #23
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29447088/

Latest incident... in a long string, but this one may get some attention...
Report: Obama helicopter security breached

The story carries no impliction whatsoever that the program wasn't configured by a clueless user to share a directory that he should not have shared.

Quote:
Lot more chatter around the net about hackers allowed access through these types of programs no matter how you have them configed....
Hackers can potentially get in through any networked application, that an entirely different issue from your previous assertion that these programs shared files that they hadn't been configured to share.

P2P software is no different from any other kind, sometimes vulnerablities get discovered, they get fixed, we update and move on. P2P applications are very popular, any significant exploitation would eventually lead to online articles about it with links to security advisories. You can find countless such articles about Windows, and pretty much any browser you care to mention, but all you can come up with about p2p is vague rumours about unspecified versions of unspecified applications. And yet you still regard it as the bogeyman.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 08:03 PM   #24
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
[color="Red"]P2P software is no different from any other kind,
P2P software is not different from any other kind of software????

I don't know one security novice (let alone expert) who would agree with you... none that are sane anyway.

ROFL... the clues are all around...

Lots of funny stuff on here today!!!!

You crack me up... funny stuff.. lol
Old 4 Mar 2009, 10:19 PM   #25
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
P2P software is not different from any other kind of software????

I don't know one security novice (let alone expert) who would agree with you... none that are sane anyway.
P2P is a big problem due to clueless users who share hierarchies they shouldn't, that's why experts in security regard it as dangerous. In other respects they aren't particularly risky in comparison with running a web-browser.

If you have any evidence to the contrary please present it. There's no point in presenting any more stories about people who accidently shared files, because we all know it happens and no-one is disputing it.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 10:21 PM   #26
CyberDyne
Master of the @

You two really do have a love-hate relationship don't you
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2009, 07:05 AM   #27
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyne View Post
You two really do have a love-hate relationship don't you
He is ignorant... or on drugs... maybe both....

I remember once someone said that kids, old people and retired people hang on this forum...

It is true... I have read some of the most ignorant stuff on here...
Old 5 Mar 2009, 08:57 AM   #28
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
He is ignorant... or on drugs... maybe both....
I think this response speaks volumes. I've challenged you several times to produce some evidence for your position, but you can't, so you decend into childish personal abuse.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 03:43 AM   #29
marcus0263
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
I think this response speaks volumes. I've challenged you several times to produce some evidence for your position, but you can't, so you decend into childish personal abuse.
Theog is begin Theog

There are numerous legitimate P2P applications out there, just because a "tool" can be used to illegal purposes doesn't make the the tool "evil". Yes Doc, you are correct in your posts here and Theog is throwing his tantrum.
marcus0263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2009, 10:36 PM   #30
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus0263 View Post
There are numerous legitimate P2P applications out there, just because a "tool" can be used to illegal purposes doesn't make the the tool "evil".
The BBC iPlayer Download Manager is a P2P application.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote