EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 23 Mar 2005, 06:20 AM   #361
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I'm glad that this "gender of poster" subject was brought up. This is something I was thinking about quite a lot. Gender has an important role in human interactions in the "real world". In this virtual world it is missing sometimes. English is a gender-neutral language. First and second person don't have a gender (as in "I" and "you" are genderless). So the gender of the participants is almost never showing in the content of forum posts. I tend to have a picture of posters in my head, and sometimes I find out it has the wrong gender! Other languages are less gender-neutral. In Hebrew verbs relating to the first person have gender, so in Hebrew forums you almost always know the poster's gender. I don't claim that this is important, but I notice the difference between English and Hebrew forums in this respect.

Another thing more on the topic of this thread: I said I have a picture in my mind of the poster when I read a post. Another thing I noticed when the EMD photo page was new, that even after I saw the pictures, when reading posts the former images persisted, even though I was aware that the poster looked very different in the photo! (though in time the photos did win).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2005, 05:10 PM   #362
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

...and that is why the EMD photo gallery is such a great feature, it's always nice to put a face to a name. I know exactly what you mean about having a different picture in your head though, but this also happens in the "real world" when you talk to someone on the telephone and then meet them later.

_Malc

edit: PS I just had to pay a visit to the gallery to remind myself what you look like
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2005, 06:44 AM   #363
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Malc 44
...and that is why the EMD photo gallery is such a great feature, it's always nice to put a face to a name. I know exactly what you mean about having a different picture in your head though, but this also happens in the "real world" when you talk to someone on the telephone and then meet them later.

_Malc

edit: PS I just had to pay a visit to the gallery to remind myself what you look like
Your real picture is already settled in my mind!

When I was in the army (many many years ago) there was a telephone switchboard operator in our headquarters that had a very sexy voice. Soldiers from all around the country were talking to her for hours every day. Only a few knew she looked quite like Big Bird!
Old 29 Mar 2005, 09:39 AM   #364
dragon1
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by hadaso
Your real picture is already settled in my mind!

When I was in the army (many many years ago) there was a telephone switchboard operator in our headquarters that had a very sexy voice. Soldiers from all around the country were talking to her for hours every day. Only a few knew she looked quite like Big Bird!
Compensation...what she lacked in looks, she was gifted with in voice.
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2005, 08:07 AM   #365
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by dragon1
Compensation...what she lacked in looks, she was gifted with in voice.
And probably in character.
Old 1 May 2005, 01:29 PM   #366
DBH

**UPDATE**

Hey everybody! I've just added Webgenie & The Mister to the photo page. Welcome!
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2005, 10:49 AM   #367
davy51
Master of the @

I hope it doesnt scare anyone but i just sent my pic in

oops sent to the wrong address
resent to the proper address

Last edited by davy51 : 16 Jun 2005 at 10:55 AM.
davy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2005, 01:01 PM   #368
DBH

Quote:
Originally posted by davy51
oops sent to the wrong address
resent to the proper address
LOL No problem...I still got both e-mails.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 01:02 PM   #369
DBH

**UPDATE**

I'd like to officially welcome davy51 to our community of picture posters! Thanks for sending in your pic!
Old 16 Jun 2005, 10:26 PM   #370
davy51
Master of the @

Thank you

I just hope it doesnt cause any heart attacks lol
Old 17 Jun 2005, 12:21 AM   #371
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by DBH
LOL No problem...I still got both e-mails.
Which is the right address Dave? You have Haller AT mm DOT st on the first post, and PhotoPage AT gmail DOT com at the bottom of the photo page. Is there a prefered one?

_Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2005, 06:04 AM   #372
gdg

Doh! My heart!
gdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2005, 06:11 AM   #373
davy51
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by gdg
Doh! My heart!

lol lol
Old 22 Jun 2005, 02:03 PM   #374
darrylb

Quote:
Originally posted by davy51
I hope it doesnt scare anyone but i just sent my pic in
Heh, I was just at a classic video gaming/pinball expo over the weekend...a guy apologized when he walked by just as my camera flash went off for a photo of a couple of games I was taking (only caught the bottom of his leg in the photo, which most people probably wouldn't even notice unless I pointed it out). I said it was all right, actually he and his friend could get in front of a video game of their choice that I could take a photo of for a web site that I was doing a report of the expo on.

That caught them off guard, to say the least...then after several seconds of silence, the first guy said:

Guy #1: Uh...no one would want to see a photo of ME. (he was pretty...well...wide, to put it that way)

Guy #2: If anyone saw a photo of this shirt, they'd go blind!

We laughed BIG TIME over that...I didn't even realize he had a blindingly orange Hawaiian shirt on. Guess that's what you get for staring at a bunch of video screens for too long

Anyway, back to the pic: looks like you, me, joelpt, Elvey, redmyrlin, robert@fm, and the new inductees of The Mister and yuvaraj all belong to the "What the Hell Is a Razor Blade?" Club
darrylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2005, 02:18 PM   #375
davy51
Master of the @

I lost mine and havent found it yet lol