EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 5 Nov 2013, 08:55 PM   #16
Edwin
 Administrator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
Edwin, people perceive colors differently, and of course screens differ as well. The 'orange' doesn't look orange to me, and the 'dark blue' isn't dark, but the main thing is that regardless of the shades they are supposed to be, they are jarring and distracting and really quite unnecessary. I agree with someone earlier who said the tan background in quoted text was pleasant enough, but other than that, the color changes so far seem to me to add nothing, and to detract quite a bit from the former look, which put the emphasis where it belonged -- on the words.

I am not against change per se, I just see no need for colorizing the site at all. The old look was pleasant and conducive to the site's purpose and didn't get in the way. The new look is mentally jumpy and distracting. I know it is subjective and I speak only for my own eyes and brain of course, but I must be honest and say that for me at least, the changes have been entirely negative and have diminished the ease and pleasure that I take in perusing the site.

This is just one vote, but I do wonder mournfully why it is so often necessary to 'fix what ain't broke', and I also note sadly that 'improvements' (in any context) almost never actually improve things and often seem to accomplish the opposite. My heart sinks whenever I see 'New and Improved' on something that I like and enjoy, and now it seems the phenomenon has cropped up again, here at EMD. Alas.
Yes, you're right - people perceive colours differently, but beyond that, monitors also display colours differently. The forums look moderately different on each of my two monitors, and that's despite supposedly calibrating them to the exact same shades using the built in calibration tools. So that certainly doesn't make the task easier!

Addressing the other issue, of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" you have a good point there as well. However, I have changed the forums a handful of times over the last 14 years, and each time some people didn't like the transition, but generally the feeling after a little while seemed to be that the improvements were exactly that i.e. improvements.

I would welcome suggestions on how to improve things further, but for me at least the current look is a lot less mournful and more appealing visually. Text seems to stand out better, especially against some of the darker backgrounds, than it did with the old washed-out colour scheme.

Finally, as I may have noted elsewhere, while there are a lot of "forum" regulars between 60-75% of the forum traffic at any one time (in overall pageview terms) is from first-time visitors. So I'm conscious that things that make the forums easier to grasp quickly are worth exploring, such as highlighting the first post of a given thread.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2013, 09:16 PM   #17
Edwin
 Administrator 

I have taken the blue strip off the top of posts other than the first post. The grey should be less distracting. I've also dialled down the colour that goes behind the actual post body text. Again, hopefully promotes readability.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2013, 09:41 PM   #18
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Absolutely love what you're doing with the colors.

This site has always been fairly drab in appearance, in
my opinion, and the new look is very refreshing.

Some folks just can't accept change in their lives.
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2013, 10:14 PM   #19
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I like the new colors.
Don't be too offended, Bill!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KZeO5oc428
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2013, 03:10 AM   #20
gcrouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
I have taken the blue strip off the top of posts other than the first post. The grey should be less distracting. I've also dialled down the colour that goes behind the actual post body text. Again, hopefully promotes readability.
Today's colors are the best so far (for me).
gcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2013, 05:29 AM   #21
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
Nice, looking brighter around here.
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2013, 07:08 AM   #22
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
Addressing the other issue, of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" you have a good point there as well.
Yes Ya have buddy and I dont wanna make you mad or anything..

I mean I look @ the big picture... IF YOU PUT VB4 HERE I would really not like it!! (I leave all sites that goto it.... I cant stand how ugly it is/slow it is) -- Its a disgrace to vbulletin!!!!

Nothing you do In my opinion would be AS BAD as going to VB4+

So thank you again Edwin for NOT PUTTING THAT HERE!!!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2013, 07:09 AM   #23
David
Ultimate Contributor

Goods job Edwin. It looks super now
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2013, 07:17 AM   #24
Bamb0
Master of the @

Ya its not too shabby is it Dave??
Old 6 Nov 2013, 07:30 AM   #25
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
I am not against change per se, I just see no need for colorizing the site at all. The old look was pleasant and conducive to the site's purpose and didn't get in the way. The new look is mentally jumpy and distracting. I know it is subjective and I speak only for my own eyes and brain of course, but I must be honest and say that for me at least, the changes have been entirely negative and have diminished the ease and pleasure that I take in perusing the site.

This is just one vote, but I do wonder mournfully why it is so often necessary to 'fix what ain't broke', and I also note sadly that 'improvements' (in any context) almost never actually improve things and often seem to accomplish the opposite. My heart sinks whenever I see 'New and Improved' on something that I like and enjoy, and now it seems the phenomenon has cropped up again, here at EMD. Alas.
Another vote. Please bring back the original one. It had a much more consistent style. It's like I'm visiting a girls talk forum now.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2013, 07:59 AM   #26
Bamb0
Master of the @

I dont wanna say too much as I dont want it to get worse here!! (VB4)

This has always been a site I love to come visit because of the calmness here... No one being mean to others........ This is what ALL SITES should be like!!
Old 6 Nov 2013, 09:22 AM   #27
nbarr
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Another vote. Please bring back the original one. It had a much more consistent style.
Have to agree, it's now rather garish.
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2013, 09:46 AM   #28
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Well Edwin, as you can see, you're not going to please everyone.

I am no web site designer or developer, but in my opinion, what you are trying to do is a very nice improvement to your site.

Others of course will disagree with my opinion, but in the end, it all comes down to whose bat and balls we're playing with, and I believe that equipment belongs to Edwin.

So, keep swinging for the fences Edwin, the site looks great.
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2013, 01:38 PM   #29
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Ya its not too shabby is it Dave??
No, it is not - it is also very nice that Edwin takes heed, and accepts feedback, from the members of these forums
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2013, 05:56 PM   #30
Bamb0
Master of the @

Actually Since he tweaked them a little more its quite nice!!!!

Good Job Edwin