EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 29 Oct 2009, 09:10 AM   #1
nooby
Essential Contributor

Blogs? which is easiest to use for a noob. Spamfree?

I feel for having an easy to use blog.

Hopefully one that one can add entries using email too.

Nothing fancy, the bare essentials will do.
nooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Oct 2009, 10:20 AM   #2
kinetic
Essential Contributor

You can post to blogspot through email. And it is quite easy to use in general. All of them are designed to be easy.
kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2009, 05:33 PM   #3
nooby
Essential Contributor

Yes you seem to be right. I found this text though.

Quote:
Mail-to-Blogger does not support images or other attachments.
So one can upload the text but not the picture from the travel. Unless one do it from a mobilephone?

http://www.google.com/support/blogge...1452&&hl=en-uk
My poor memory made me think that Blogger had changed policy maybe they allowed pictures some years ago?

Last edited by nooby : 29 Oct 2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 11:22 PM   #4
marc_otten
Master of the @

Try Posterous. It lets you blog by email (and in some other ways). Check their faq for more info.

Regards,
- Marc
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2009, 12:12 AM   #5
nooby
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_otten View Post
Try Posterous. It lets you blog by email (and in some other ways). Check their faq for more info.

Regards,
- Marc
Thanks Marc,

that one was really different.
I am a poor reader of text.

oh now I get it then I will have url like this

http://posterous.com/people/ xxxxxxxxx complete random chars and numbers.

Hm not attractive compared to Blogger and Blogdrive which give a choice on what to name the blog. Example Nooby dot blog dot com or similar

But it is a very practical way to send friends a Hello from a travel diary showing what one are up to. My relatives would like it.

So thanks for telling me.

Last edited by nooby : 30 Oct 2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 07:29 AM   #6
kchess79
Master of the @

Actually, my Posterous blog addressers are all myusername.posterous.com. Looks much cleaner!
kchess79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2009, 08:32 AM   #7
nooby
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchess79 View Post
Actually, my Posterous blog addressers are all myusername.posterous.com. Looks much cleaner!
Thanks indeed for taking time to explain things but it is still a deep mystery to me

Okay, but other of the many users there don't know how to accomplish that.

Do you have a link to a short description on how to do it.
I found several of the new members/users there who had names like

clementine having an address like this kkKylPQVk I am sure that is autonatically created by some random program scrpt.

And she was not alone. Is that want non-payers get and you are a payer. If she could have got a decent user name how come that she accept kkKylPQVk as her username?

I am too confused to get why some have such and others like you.

Way past midnight herer so I read your answer some 10 hours from now or later. Has to bike to buy food early coming morning.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 08:35 AM   #8
kchess79
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooby View Post
clementine having an address like this kkKylPQVk I am sure that is autonatically created by some random program scrpt.

And she was not alone. Is that want non-payers get and you are a payer. If she could have got a decent user name how come that she accept kkKylPQVk as her username?
As far as I know, it's an entirely free service. The links that you were looking at, might have been their profile links, which aren't the same as their blog link. A link to my profile might end in a lot of random numbers and letters, but it'll show a little info about me and links to my blogs, which will be whateverusernameyouchoose.posterous.com.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 08:54 AM   #9
nooby
Essential Contributor

Thanks, I look into it tomorrow.

what confused me was that almost every person to the right on this page had these random urls.

http://posterous.com/explore/tag/username

Look to the right column

Ah now I know why it was so utterly confusing.

Look here

http://posterous.com/main/register

There you can join and chose you prefered username.
Quote:
Choose a name for your posterous site
but if one read on the first page they say this
Quote:
Step 1.

Create and account
Skip it No set up or sign up Just email.
No explanation on how to tell them the name one want for the blog.

Okay further down they say they use our name but no indication where to put the name for to to be recognized.

I prefer the signup, then one know where to put things properly.

Maybe I join maybe not. Thanks for wanting to share info.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 08:56 AM   #10
kchess79
Master of the @

Oh, I see what you mean! Yes, that part confused me too at first. But once you post something, they give you the option to choose a username.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 11:23 PM   #11
mister
Essential Contributor

I've used Posterous for a while it has it's good and bad aspects.It's major downfall is that it's difficult to edit,
it's hard to explain exactly how it works but it a majot PITA.For much easier interface try www.xanga.com.
If you sign up with johnsmith@gmail.com your posterous blog will be www.johnsmith.posterous.com.
You should be careful which email provider you use to sign up. Yahoo for example has an ad for it's toolbar on every email and as I mentioned it's difficult to edit out,www.gmx.com is great no taglines or ads at all.
You can post to your blog from multiple accounts.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2009, 11:35 PM   #12
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
It's major downfall is that it's difficult to edit
Difficult to edit? As in "edit a post"? Or as in "edit the appearance of your blog". The latter is kinda difficult indeed, but editing a post is as easy as 1-2-3: login to your posterous account, go to the post you want to change and click "edit". How difficult is that?
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2009, 11:52 PM   #13
mister
Essential Contributor

Are you speaking from experience?Regardless I find www.xanga.com much easier to work with .If your experience is different,great,but I have no interest in arguing the point with you,OK.

Last edited by mister : 30 Oct 2009 at 11:58 PM.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2009, 02:59 AM   #14
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Been with Blogspot for over two years and while generally suspicious about the big guns out there, this service really pleases me.

Like the OP, I am very much wanting a blog where I can provide entries per email without having to sign in to my blog. This is because I use public computers quite often (I travel a lot...). Blogger/Blogspot has that feature and itīs very user friendly.

On top of that, when initially signing up it is equally user friendly to write an introduction, choose your template, etc. ... also very nice is the many ways in which you can sort or archive your posts if you wish to do so.

And important: Blogger never deletes blogs or contents without you doing so yourself ; no matter how long your inactivity between two posts, your blog and all posts inside will remain online Only if you wish to delete your blog yourself it will be gone, otherwise you can have a gap of three years without sign-ins or new entries, your blog will still be untouched and online.

The one thing I am unsure about is if Blogger would allow one person to have two different blogs, which I would consider handy to have one more personal blog and one with posts about news events, less personal events etc. Not sure if more than 1 account per person is allowed, and I do fear Google (who own Blogspot) rarely respond to questions from users.

So Iīd say Blogger has everything for the persons who need a user-friendly, reliable blog with email option.

Never used posterous.com ; they may be good but I wonder then if they will survive long-term when not backed by a wealthy company?

Also, one more thing to consider, depending on your location and language, local alternatives may exist as well. In my native language (Dutch) thereīs a handful of local blogging hosts who cater the Dutch speaking blogging community only but provided a good service (never tested myself as I blog in English, but several friends of mine tried those local services and were happy with it so far)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2009, 03:27 AM   #15
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
The one thing I am unsure about is if Blogger would allow one person to have two different blogs, which I would consider handy to have one more personal blog and one with posts about news events, less personal events etc. Not sure if more than 1 account per person is allowed
One Blogger account = one Google account. And there is no rule against having more than one instance of the latter...
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote